Octoberfest 2015 - registration and discussion thread

This sounds like great fun but sadly, I am not going to have the time this year. I hope I can finish my 52 week project as I am mostly done with it but I fear life is getting in the way again. Next year I hope to be able to do this.

Sorry to hear you won't be joining us John. You do have until midnight on the 30th if you change your mind. :)

Hello all

Is it too late to join?

I attempted this last year but it went belly up (translation = went badly:(). I lasted until day 17. I was travelling in Germany & Switzerland for work, Portugal for 2 days for holiday and 1 week in Spain for the rest of the holiday. I was using (or trying to) a borrowed D90 with a 50mm 1.8D. I was shooting JPEG in camera and trying to post from my iPad. Irregular internet access. I got fed up. I also felt crap. 2 weeks later I had a cholecystectomy (gall bladder removal). Haven't shot much since and haven't visited the cafe since. My avatar has disappeared too!!??

I would like to go player with:-
35mm 1.8G (fx)
50mm 1.8G
85mm 1.8G
Tokina 100mm 2.8 Macro
300mm f/4 AF-S D

Mightn't use all of them but keeping my options open.

Is it one body?

If so I'll use D700
If not I'll use the D810 also

Kind regards,

Eamonn.
Ireland.

Eamonn - Aaron covered the question and lenses. You can use multiple bodies. We 'd be glad to have you join in! :D

Can you use a zoom set only at 35 mm? :vulcan:

Answered by Aaron - do you have a prime or two you can use for the month? We'd like to have you along as well.

I am really trying to get my photography back to life and I'm hoping this challenge will be just what I need to do that. So please count me in.

Lenses:
55mm f2.8 AIS Macro
105mm f4 AIS Macro
200mm f4 AI

Cameras:
Nikon D2H
Nikon D3100

Thanks

Hi Art! Glad to see you here. :)

Aaron - thanks for fielding those questions. :)

First post has been updated with the participant list. So far we have 9 declared by my count, and several more potential participants. If I have missed anyone, please let me know and I'll get it corrected. Thanks!

Real Name
Eamonn
Welcome!
It's not too late, it's still September. But for your lenses, pls. make your decision, acc. to the rules:
"Player – 2 or 3 primes for the month." Thanks.

Sorry didn't pay attention to that bit...

D700
D810

35mm 1.8G (fx)
300mm AF-S D
Tokina 100mm 2.8 macro

Welcome to you both - I'll have the list updated with your info shortly. Please check the info and let me know if I need to make any correction.

I'm in Hard Core. Nikon D7000 with Nikkor - SC 50mm f1:1.4 factory AI converted. I believe this was the first or one of the first Nikkors to be multi-coated.

And another piece of vintage glass joins the fray. :D Do you have a name you want us to address you by, or just your screen nick?

Sorry didn't pay attention to that bit...

D700
D810

35mm 1.8G (fx)
300mm AF-S D
Tokina 100mm 2.8 macro

Excellent spread of lenses. And do you want to go by you screen nick or a name?

Last edited:
Real Name
Paul
I'll give it a try... first timer at this, so I have a few questions. I have business travel the last week or so of the month, but will have a camera with me. Just may not be able to post those shots until I get back in the country.

I want to use some of my MF primes, so will try 'player' level, with:

D700 28mm/f2.8 and 105mm/f2.5, both MF
Fuji X100s with its 23mm/f2 (35mm equivalent?) exclusively while on travel the last week.

I usually shoot RAW, so is PP allowed? Color balance setting?
What about adjusting exposure, brightness, shadows, etc?
I'm assuming no cropping?
Converting to B&W ok?

For the Fuji, how should I label the lens in the post?

Sounds like this will be hard, but fun!

Last edited:
I'll give it a try... first timer at this, so I have a few questions. I have business travel the last week or so of the month, but will have a camera with me. Just may not be able to post those shots until I get back in the country.

I want to use some of my MF primes, so will try 'player' level, with:

D700 28mm/f2.8 and 105mm/f2.5, both MF
Fuji X100s with its 23mm/f2 (35mm equivalent?) exclusively while on travel the last week.

I usually shoot RAW, so is PP allowed? Color balance setting?
What about adjusting exposure, brightness, shadows, etc?
I'm assuming no cropping?
Converting to B&W ok?

For the Fuji, how should I label the lens in the post?

Sounds like this will be hard, but fun!

Hey Paul, glad to see you joining in! Post after your trip (not too late after, as some may not see the posts). I'd just label it XF23/2 in the thread title, and a description in the first post in your thread. And as far as I know, post processing is fine. If I do any cropping, I usually mention it, and the reason, when I post the image. I'll get the list updated. :)

Welcome to you both - I'll have the list updated with your info shortly. Please check the info and let me know if I need to make any correction.

And another piece of vintage glass joins the fray. :D Do you have a name you want us to address you by, or just your screen nick?

My nick cosmicfires works.

Not sure what I will be able to do. But, just in case I can, I will use the following:
Nikon D810
Nikon 60mm F2.8D AF micro
Nikon 135 F2 DC
Nikon 20mm F2.8 D

Better late than never.

In the "good old days" Oktoberfest meant choosing a lens and then using nothing else for the entire month. Call me a traditionalist but I have chosen a Nikkor 50/1.8 AiS and will use it for the Challenge. My main camera will be a D700 and I also hope to shoot some film in my F3 (obviously using the same lens).

Thanks to Gordon for hosting and best wishes to all of our players for a great month!

Better late than never.

In the "good old days" Oktoberfest meant choosing a lens and then using nothing else for the entire month. Call me a traditionalist but I have chosen a Nikkor 50/1.8 AiS and will use it for the Challenge. My main camera will be a D700 and I also hope to shoot some film in my F3 (obviously using the same lens).

Thanks to Gordon for hosting and best wishes to all of our players for a great month!

David! Glad to see you make it in this year. :) I'll have you updated on the list shortly.

Thanks, but not sure I'm actually "hosting", just kinda getting the ball rolling. I think. Once the initial registration and question thing is done, the 'fest should be pretty much self-regulated.

Thanks, but not sure I'm actually "hosting", just kinda getting the ball rolling. I think. Once the initial registration and question thing is done, the 'fest should be pretty much self-regulated.

Gordon, you're doing a great job here!

Hmm....

I will join too (trick for me is getting to 31 images).

D800E
Rokinon 24mm
Rokinon 135mm

May sneak in some quasi-macros with a 25mm ext tube on the 135mm as well if that's permitted.

-Brian

Last edited:
Hmm....

I will join too (trick for me is getting to 31 images).

D800E
Rokinon 24mm
Rokinon 135mm

May sneak in some quasi-macros with a 25mm ext tube on the 135mm as well if that's permitted.

-Brian

Welcome, Brian!

Accessories to the lens are definitely permitted. And 31 is the goal. Sometimes plans fail, life gets in the way, etc... but 31 is what to strive for.

I'll add you to the list.

Latest threads

Top Bottom