Critique Octoberfest 2018 – Kry27 – D3&200/2 – Day 31

Beautiful, Roland. The background haze and the dappled sunlight make this area look so warm and comfortable .... a welcoming sight for you upon driving home, I am sure.
Yes, that's about the last ridge I've go to cross on my way home - it was also the last chance to get a decent image, as the sun was going down quickly behind the next one (where we live). Right next to the right, one could see the Airport of Zurich, from where this was taken.

Real Name
Paul
Day 13 - Neighbor's cat
She likes to come over for a short visit, daily

View attachment 1624170
And she appears to be eyeing something delicious! :)

Today I got up early and let the ladies sleep long. Luca had his baby bottle, was playing with his toys in his playpen, and I took the chance to take this picture of neighbor's roses in the early morning mist. The light in the back is a street lamp.

Day 14 - Neighbor's roses

View attachment 1624178
Very cool shot! Brilliant use of lighting!

Day 15 - Evening view on the way home

View attachment 1624271
Nice gradient of light with the different layers. Sweet!

You are doing a great job with that big gun of a lens, Roland. Initially, I thought that it would have been quite limiting but you have shown a terrific variety of images. Apart from people (and pet) portraits, your pic of the neighbour's roses was a standout for me.

Yes, that's about the last ridge I've go to cross on my way home - it was also the last chance to get a decent image, as the sun was going down quickly behind the next one (where we live). Right next to the right, one could see the Airport of Zurich, from where this was taken.

Boy, it sure looks more rural than having an urban airport nearby. But beautiful nonetheless.

You are doing a great job with that big gun of a lens, Roland. Initially, I thought that it would have been quite limiting but you have shown a terrific variety of images. Apart from people (and pet) portraits, your pic of the neighbour's roses was a standout for me.
Thank you, David. I was of the same opinion: that's leaning far out of the window, using such a tele. I had been thinking the fisheye was limiting, using it for OF, and now, I thought the tele was too. I like to challenge myself, a bit. Shooting portraits all day indeed would get boring over 31 days... (for me, not being the portrait pro or flash nut).

And back to foggy shooting :)

Normally, I'm more like Harry: getting up early, that gives you better options, photo-wise ... This time, it's another stop on my way to work. Stop in the swamps, enjoy the first beams of light, take a picture, go to work :/

I captured an impressive tree, who's trunk still was befogged, and tried to get a good composition. No way the whole tree would get into the frame, using the 200. This one was about the furthest distance I could get at. I will put a different framing into the bucket: a rather un-usual portrait oriented 16:9 pano (well, more of a 9-16 then, actually):

Day 16 - Arcane old tree in the swamps

of_2018_16.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Real Name
Paul

Normally, I'm more like Jim / Pa: getting up early, that gives you better options, photo-wise ... This time, it's another stop on my way to work. Stop in the swamps, enjoy the first beams of light, take a picture, go to work :/

I captured an impressive tree, who's trunk still was befogged, and tried to get a good composition. No way the whole tree would get into the frame, using the 200. This one was about the furthest distance I could get at. I will put a different framing into the bucket: a rather un-usual portrait oriented 16:9 pano (well, more of a 9-16 then, actually):

View attachment 1624347
That’s a huge tree! Interesting look with the fog.

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
D15 and D16 - Both exceptional. Different moods and equally beautiful.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus

Normally, I'm more like Harry: getting up early, that gives you better options, photo-wise ... This time, it's another stop on my way to work. Stop in the swamps, enjoy the first beams of light, take a picture, go to work :/

View attachment 1624347
:wideyed::wideyed::wideyed: WOW!
Roland that reminds me of the book "Lord of the Rings". When the alliance started to travel to Bree, they met the old big willow...

Fantastic
Klaus

Real Name
Ken St John

View attachment 1624347

WOW!! This is wonderful. I did some work myself in a similar locale (misty, low light, lots of trees) and nailing the exposure is tricky. This image is really excellent. Well done!!

Ken

View attachment 1624347
I agree with Ken and Klaus ... exceptionally nice, spooky shot. Very well done. But it needs a witch and a cauldron under that tree!

View attachment 1624347

Nice mood, cool-looking tree. Good capture.

That’s a huge tree! Interesting look with the fog.

Misty morning.

D15 and D16 - Both exceptional. Different moods and equally beautiful.

Nice mood, cool-looking tree. Good capture.
Thank you, Gentlemen, for the nice comments. Yes, I happened to get there in nice (absence of) light, and could take quite a few good shots of other subjects as well. I will return to see what I can take again on an other October day.

:wideyed::wideyed::wideyed: WOW!
Roland that reminds me of the book "Lord of the Rings". When the alliance started to travel to Bree, they met the old big willow...

Fantastic
Klaus
Thank you very much! Yes, that's the movie coming to my mind (or the book, more so. I've read that 3 times before the movies even existed.)

WOW!! This is wonderful. I did some work myself in a similar locale (misty, low light, lots of trees) and nailing the exposure is tricky. This image is really excellent. Well done!!

Ken
Thank you also for your technical comment, indeed, exposing correctly needed a bit of thinking. Normally I use matrix and have a - 1/3 dialed in for the D3, sometimes lower. As there was practically no direct light, no white surface, and quite some fog, I left out the correction, went to +/- 0, and voilà - got that with the first attempt (exposure wise, not the framing).

I agree with Ken and Klaus ... exceptionally nice, spooky shot. Very well done. But it needs a witch and a cauldron under that tree!
Harry, you're too kind. I'm with you, missing witch and cauldron! :D

Latest threads

Top Bottom