1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Octoberfest 2018 - Harry - D600 Nikon E 100mm f/2.8, Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 - Day 14

Discussion in 'Photo Meme' started by Harry Lavo, Oct 2, 2018.

1. I'm late to the party, and so this day one shot is somewhat rushed, as it is late in the afternoon. So I'll use what little light is left to shoot an available light shot of one of my favorite dining room pieces ... a cut glass decanter featuring a sailing ship. Not only did I like the lightplay itself from an overcast day, but I feel it actually makes the ship seem to be floating on an ocean under a bright sky. Feel free to just ignore the travelog, however.

Day 1 - Decanter
    original.
    NIKON D600    ---    200mm    f/11.0    5s    ISO 100

Nikon D600 ,Nikon 100mm f/2.8 Ai-S Series E 5s f/8.0 at 100.0mm iso100

Please note that original EXIF below picture is incorrect.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  2. Nice start Harry. To me, the most interesting part of the image is the reflection/refraction displayed in the stopper of your decanter.

Good to have you on board!

3. Very nice decanter Harry. I also like the crystal ball effect of the stopper. The ship adds some detail to the decanter and it's a nice touch.

4. Day 2 -

This starts what I plan to be a series that I think of as "Morning Stirrings". I'll be shooting just before or after dawn as ordinary people start their ordinary mornings or finish their ordinary nighttime work.

Day 2 - Morning Doughnut
    original.
    NIKON D600    ---    100mm    f/5.6    1/60s    ISO 640

5. Nice morning shot. Looks like some very early morning doughnut and only old folks are up.

6. Great idea for a series, Harry. THis is a great shot.

7. Good to see you in the fest Harry.

8. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Arizona
    Glad you decided to join Harry! Neat decanter - that top can be used for some cool "look through" images. I'm sure that donut shop gets some business each morning.

9. Well done, Harry. I like the way the light reveals the indoors as well as the outdoors.

10. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Oh - No - Harry!
    How can you shoot this? o_O 
    I'm just about forgetting the donut shops in the US and you - you show an excellent one. ;) :) :D 

Wonderful
    Klaus

11. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Very cool decanter. Lovely capture and great reflections.

What a great theme! Great creativity.

12. That is very neat, although in this case it can also be viewed as a distracting element since the color is so strong. Maybe I'll extract a 1:1 of just the stopper. Glad you like it, David.

Thanks, Phil
    Yep, the early morning belongs to us oldsters, Phil!! ;) 

Thanks, Nick
    Thank you Jacques. Good to be here.

Glad I joined as well, Gordon. I just might have to use that stopper with some creativity later in the month. And as for the doughnut shop, Gordon, busy from the moment they open the doors. This was relatively light .... usually the cars block the entire front of the building.

That was an important consideration to me, and why I chose this shot in particular. Glad you noticed it.

Thanks, Klaus. I've trained myself to drive by for the most part ..... but after walking every morning I usually have coffee with a group of older fellows like me, and I sometimes can't get past a nice whole wheat bagel with olive cream cheese!

Appreciate your praise, Paul. Thank you.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I'm with David, the reflections that occur in glass spheres is always nice to observe.

And getting up early: Yes, that's my thing. Days are longer, that way. Keep the 'morning theme' coming.

14. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

I could use a whole donut right about now, LOL! And I love the decanter, Harry! Happy Ocktoberfest!

15. Nice work on Day2 as well Harry. The name of the business begs the question... does someone in town sell pre-bitten donuts?

16. No David, but they do sell them dunked in some fluid or other.:D 

17. Thanks, Roland. The theme will be here for a least a few days.

18. Thanks, Lyndee.

19. Day 3 -

Continuing my theme, right down the street from me I found a Pepsi truck with two crew unloading and picking up at a convenience store / gas station. Didn't have to go far for this one.

This is taken with my Viv 24/2.8 fairly close up, then minorly adjusted for perspective in Viewpoint 2. The main effect was on the right hand size, to minimize the station's roof intrusion and partially straighten up the house across the street. I preferred this shot to those I took with the 100mm.

Day 3 - Early Delivery
    original.
    NIKON D600    ---    24mm    f/5.6    1/60s    ISO 640

• Like Like x 2
  20. Nice early morning light situation you found, there. I like the angle and view into the truck.

I'm always shocked how ridiculously cheap you can burn oil...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.