Odd D2X Shot

Odd because it was getting really low light ( I pushed the gamma a little in Processing)

Odd because this was HI-1 ISO ( Hadn't really tried it before)

Odd because this was HANDHELD WITH THE 500 AT 1/60!

The photo sucks (it was a lift the camera and fire on the way back to the car with mosquitoes eating us alive) but I gotta tell you....I'm pleased as punch that I shot this because if I can get usable 800 and Hi-1 shots, this is gonna open up an entirely different set of photo capture possibilities for me that I've been passing up!

I printed it just to see how it looks and it certainly would have been very usable (if it were something worth using :)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Jim,

I think the pic is just fine (I would have added a little contrast to it but not much)

My kids loved looking at it anyway !

The face and eyes are spot on. Think I would crop the image though.

It is a keeper...

Well, Jim, this image doesn't do much to say that Dewey shouldn't get a D2X now, does it :?: :?: :?: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for posting this, I am starting my own testing now to make some decisions and this will certainly be a factor.

Again, I appreciate all the advice and info you are passing along.

Thanks,

Oh, yeah, my wife would say "Gee, what a CUTE littel animal" :wink:

HANDHELD???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
(yelling intentional)

Wow, Jim. May not be up to your usual standards, but that's a great shot under those conditions.

Was that one of a series of rapid fire shots, or was that the only one? You really nailed the focus on this one. You've just raised the bar on expectations, too. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
David

This was one of two shots and they were identical. Basically, I just shot in on hi-1 tto see what would happen and I was amazed that it didn't look like crap!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bill

Please accept my apologies!

This was a suprise to me as it far exceeded what I've seen previously from Hi-1.

N

nfoto

Really useful shots can be obtained at HI-1, but personally I prefer the result when in-camera NR is switched off. D2X always do a basic NR on images shot at ISO 400 or higher, and by setting NR to "on" you reallly boost the NR action too much for my taste, giving a (dare I say) almost Canon-ish plasticky feeling.

One nice way of getting really clean 1600 ISO shots is to use the multi-exposure feature on D2X.

At HI-2 (3200 "ISO") the margin between useful and useless image rendition is smaller, but still existing.

N

nfoto

set the D2X to multi-exposure and fire away :)

Here is an example,

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

taken at 1600 ISO. Almost free of grain noise. (500/4P + TC-14E on D2X).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom