Odd D2X Shot

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by jfenton, Jul 15, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Odd because it was getting really low light ( I pushed the gamma a little in Processing)

Odd because this was HI-1 ISO ( Hadn't really tried it before)

Odd because this was HANDHELD WITH THE 500 AT 1/60!

The photo sucks (it was a lift the camera and fire on the way back to the car with mosquitoes eating us alive) but I gotta tell you....I'm pleased as punch that I shot this because if I can get usable 800 and Hi-1 shots, this is gonna open up an entirely different set of photo capture possibilities for me that I've been passing up!

I printed it just to see how it looks and it certainly would have been very usable (if it were something worth using :)

original.

2. Darn good capture Jim. Did you have to use noise reduction software on this and if so which software?

3. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Jim,

I think the pic is just fine (I would have added a little contrast to it but not much)

My kids loved looking at it anyway !

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    The face and eyes are spot on. Think I would crop the image though.

It is a keeper...

5. Well, Jim, this image doesn't do much to say that Dewey shouldn't get a D2X now, does it :?: :?: :?: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for posting this, I am starting my own testing now to make some decisions and this will certainly be a factor.

Again, I appreciate all the advice and info you are passing along.

Thanks,

Oh, yeah, my wife would say "Gee, what a CUTE littel animal" :wink:

6. HANDHELD???? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
    (yelling intentional)

Wow, Jim. May not be up to your usual standards, but that's a great shot under those conditions.

Was that one of a series of rapid fire shots, or was that the only one? You really nailed the focus on this one. You've just raised the bar on expectations, too. :)

7. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    David

This was one of two shots and they were identical. Basically, I just shot in on hi-1 tto see what would happen and I was amazed that it didn't look like crap!

8. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    James

No NR software...only what the D2X inherently applies at this ISO

9. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Bill

Please accept my apologies!

This was a suprise to me as it far exceeded what I've seen previously from Hi-1.

10. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Really useful shots can be obtained at HI-1, but personally I prefer the result when in-camera NR is switched off. D2X always do a basic NR on images shot at ISO 400 or higher, and by setting NR to "on" you reallly boost the NR action too much for my taste, giving a (dare I say) almost Canon-ish plasticky feeling.

One nice way of getting really clean 1600 ISO shots is to use the multi-exposure feature on D2X.

At HI-2 (3200 "ISO") the margin between useful and useless image rendition is smaller, but still existing.

11. Bjørn, here comes the dumb question -
    How to do it with multi-exposure?

12. nfoto

nfoto Guest

set the D2X to multi-exposure and fire away :)

Here is an example,

taken at 1600 ISO. Almost free of grain noise. (500/4P + TC-14E on D2X).

13. Thanks, Bjørn. Will give it a try.
    And what a nice photo.