1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Odd D700 behavior

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by MrKegFlex, Sep 9, 2008.

1. MrKegFlex

MrKegFlex

Nov 23, 2007
    Ohio
    Took the D700 to a soccer game last night. I was playing around with the different autofocus options trying to see which one worked best for me. I would go into the menu, change a setting, shoot off a bunch of shots... and repeat to try something different. On two seperate occasions, when I went back into the menu system, I lost the ability to navigate up/down through the menu system. I found the problem would disappear by just turning it off and back on.

Has anybody else run into this? I've changed settings a lot to try different things since I got the camera but this was the first time I had experienced anything like that. Did I accidently move a button or switch that would limit your navigation that I'm not aware of?

2. I've seen it on both my previous D300 and D700. I could get this from time to time on the menus and when navigating images. It would only happen when I was clicking very fast thru multiple items.

I use the dial now to nav the menus and pics now (never had a problem with that) and rarely have issues.

3. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Never noticed it on my D300 or on my D700.

4. Have never noticed this on my D300 either...

5. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    I've seen it on my D200 from time to time. Switching it off and back on does the trick.

6. MrKegFlex

MrKegFlex

Nov 23, 2007
    Ohio
    Thanks for the comments... I'm relieved to hear that it seems to be something that has been around for quite a few models and is related to fast navigating. I will say that I have never experienced this problem until that night when I would shoot a burst of pics, quickly change settings, shoot another burst, and then quickly change settings over and over. So... it sounds like a problem with that in general which is something I wouldn't imagine you would run into quite a bit if you had your shooting menu setup for that activity.

Thanks!

7. Ditto here... Only happens when I'm FLYING with my fingers moving thru or zooming photos, but when it does a simple off/on puts it back on track. I suspected it was due to the processor speed (handling the photos) vs my finger speed and that I shouldn't push that fast/hard anyway....

8. I've had something similar, yet quite different, with my D3. I've never posted it because I just thought I was nuts. My "joystick" if that's what you call it, will not change the focus point at times. It's as if it goes to sleep at times.

mark

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.