Odd flower

This is an odd Chinese flower from a plant given by a friend. It just started blooming and has many more flowers to go. I'm researching the name and will post later. I took the photo with a D7000 and Arax 80/2.8TS.

5795025832_417b17dec0_b_d.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It's a great shot, but not enough of the plant is visible to help id it. A succulent? Do you have a wider field shot? It does look interesting and the flower is beautiful!

Looks like a Christmas Cactus. They typically bloom twice a year around Christmas and again around Easter, triggered by the amount of daylight hours I believe.

I understand the name is: Epiphyllum oxypetalum also known as Night blooming Cereus. Or tánhuā in Chinese.

I'll take more pictures as more flowers bloom. They are quite short lived.

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Mike
Beautiful flower. Awesome saturated colors! I like that the whole flower is in focus, front to back.

Thanks Mike, keeping front to back (actually along the diagonal) was why I used a Tilt-Shift lens (Arax 80/2.8 with extension tubes). I used maximum tilt to achieve the plain of focus chosen. I took the first shots of this flower with my 105/2.8 VR macro and couldn't get what I wanted in terms of DOF and focus.

Another shot of the same plant. This time with my 300/4 AF-S and TC1.4. F8, 1/30, tripod.

5833656493_a38642562a_b_d.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nicely done, great color. There is a lot going on in the image.

I've forgotten all of the botany I ever learned, but the white star like "thingie" (technical term) looks like it would be fun to play with with a good sized extension tube. Maybe you could isolate the white star with the soft colorful background? Of course, you'd lose the flower's identity and it may be too abstract.

Latest threads

Top Bottom