Odd Plants at Grandma's House

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by cmpalmer, Jul 18, 2005.

1. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    These were taken this weekend at my mother-in-law's house in Duck Springs, Alabama, just at the foot of Sand Mountain (yes, we were there visiting out of town relatives instead of making the Nikon Cafe get together at the Botanical Gardens).

My mother-in-law, Sarah, is in her 70's and is a very active gardener with an eclectic sense of garden design. First up is her tool shed that she built a few years ago from boards salvaged from an old barn. In case you're wondering, it is non-functional (except in the sense of having a place to put her gardening tools):

[​IMG]

Here are a few shots of her backyard. The rotary mower is part of the display (along with a collection of old rocking chairs and other assorted oddities):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a "spider plant" -- I'm not sure if that is the real name, but the roots look like huge tarantula legs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, these are my favorite so I saved them for last. Ever run out of flower pots? If so, feel free to get creative:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My MIL has such a green thumb, she once picked up a fallen stick to stake out a tomato plant. She stuck it in the ground and tied off the tomato. In the fall, when she went to remove the stick, she found that it had rooted and put out new buds...

Originals are here: http://cmpalmer.smugmug.com/gallery/668509

2. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I love the old boots pictures.. Nice photos

3. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Well, I must say that old boots is a potting choice I haven't seen before. Nice shots of a unique garden display!

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thats really teriffic. Nice shots.
    Thanks for sharing.

5. These are really great photos. I love the boots!!!! What a great idea.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Chris,

Looks like your MIL has a very unique sense of humor. I really like her garden. 8)

Good shots too, but we'll never excuse you for missing the Cafe picnic. :wink: