Ode to Arguing with oneself...D2Hs vs. D200

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by helmet155, Nov 9, 2005.

1. I like the idea of the D200, 10MP, 5fps, etc...

I REALLY like 8fps, the 4.x MPs seems fine to me but may get me into trouble with my weak Post processing skills...

I like birdies and action sequences, and I like to enlarge my pictures to hang on the walls...

What are others thoughts out there about the D200 vs D2Hs?

The price difference may make my decision ultimately, just thinking outloud, seems to be advantages to both for all kinds of shooters...

2. My Opinion

My advice would be to get the D200 and I say that because I have the D2X and it is a wonderful camera and the D200 is the closest you will get to the D2X if you want the X and don't want to pay the extra money for the X I say go for the D200.

Hope this helps make up your mind so you can go from here.

3. If I were you I'd sit back and wait for a while. The key to the d200 for your application will be the effectiveness of the new CAM1000 AF system. Nobody knows yet, but I'm sure the early adopters will shower the forums with reviews and help you make an informed decision. In the meantime, enjoy your d70. It's a fabulous camera!

4. I am in the same quandry.
    Do I need to replace my D1H?
    If so D2Hs or D200?
    I need something that will focus my 80-400 VR a bit faster for in flight bird shots and perhaps a few more pixles so that I can crop a little but still print A4 size.
    I know a D2X RAW file in Nikon Cappture slow my PC (home built: Abit KG7 motherboard, 500meg RAM, AMD 1800+ processor) to a crawl but what about D200 RAW? I suspect these will also be to much for my PC. That been said price wise D200 + new motherboard + new Microprocessor + more RAM will cost much the same as a D2Hs whose files should be OK on my existing PC.
    I guess I am going to have to wait till there a few D200 about and then beg a RAW file from someone to play with.
    What to do ....

5. I agree 100% with Uncle Frank. If bird-in-flight shots are important to you, then the AF system will be a key. As yet, that is a tremendous unknown with the D200, but also a well-known advantage of the D2H(s).

The urge to jump in is powerful, but wait until the initial (credible) reviews are in before making any decisions.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Brett,

I too agree that if you can wait you should. My personal feeling is that for the kind of shooting that I've seen you doing, the D2Hs would be better, but there's no denying that the D200 looks pretty good from a spec standpoint. Not quite as good from the AF and frame rate standpoint, but as good or better in other areas, and about $1,000 cheaper.

OTOH, if I had the money for a D2Hs, I'd get one in a heartbeat. :rolleyes:

7. I guess I'm running under the assumption the CAM1000 isn't much of an improvement over the D70 CAM900 for moving objects, but I am frequently wrong when guessing about future products :)

Hopefully the D200 will bring the prices down on D2Hs. I was standing next to Ben (bfjr) and listening to his 8fps was impressive - excellent for following action sequences...

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Exakery....:wink:

9. It is time that I "fly into" this conversation, as it is exactly the same situation that I am in. I primarily shoot "moving objects", mainly birds, animals, football players, soccer players, cheerleaders....etc....... I currently have a D2H that is great for this stuff, and a D70 that works pretty OK. For birdies, I want the ability to do the equivalent of the HSC on the D2X, which the D200 enables, 5mp vs. 6mp, even those you lose the 3fps. THe 3ps difference does not bother me too much, as I find it just as easy to miss the Peak Action at 8fps as with just "mashing the shutter repeatedly" :redface: . So, this brings us down to good-old-CAM1000 and what the heck does it all mean.

Peter Bendheim posted his subjective 20 minute handling of a D200 review at "that other DPR place", good thread, and noted that the D200 is much closer to the D2X than to the D50/70, which is wonderful. Given that the only lenses I really care about speed with are either AFS or HSM I think the real issue will be how well the AF system aquires and tracks, not how the focus motor responds.

Now, having said all of that, here is the "Dewey Plan". I am currently on the list at my local pro-store, hope to have one in hand mid-December. My expectation is that shortly thereafter the D70 will go up for sale. At the very least this gives me 2 bodies, D200 and D2H, with the same set of physical controls. As this is also the middle of "Birdie Season", I can really compare the two as to AF, mainly tracking, time to aquire and accuracy. I can also then determine if I care about 8fps vs. 5fps. At the end of this "trial period", currently scheduled to last as long as it does, I will determine if I should sell the D2H for a second D200.

Now, if all you wish to contribute gear, money, well wishes to my endeavor all will be appreciated. If you send money, well heck, then you will get something "really special" :biggrin:

On a side note, I am really intrigued by a few things on the D200. The first is the CCD vs. CMOS, sure wish I knew the reasons behind this. Then we have the 100-1600ISO with Hi-1 only. Go to DPReview and look closely at the specs, where it shows 3 "flavors" of HI-1, 2000, 2500 and 3200 ISO. And then, of course, the price-point, which is quite sweet.

Well, enough rambling, mid-December is too darned far away.

10. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    focus, focus, focus

For birds in flight AF is critical. More mpix mean nothing if the shot is out of focus.

Go for a D2H or D2Hs, or wait for reviews on the D200 before you pull the trigger.

11. The BIG pluses for the D2H are the 8 FPS and focus speed. However, the D200 @ 5 FPS isn't too far from 8 FPS and I'm banking on the new CAM being equivalent to the CAM in the H. IMO, nearly everything else about the D200 should be superior to the D2H. :Shocked: ......... flame suit ON! :tongue:

That being said, you can buy a very clean used D2H for close to $1300 right now (I sold mine a couple of months ago for nearly this price) and I bet the price will be under $1300 once the D200 is available. I also bet there will be a lot of D2H bodies for sale in early 06 which will drive the price even lower. So, if you're really after ultimate "speed" and rugedness and relatively low cost, then this would be the smart way to go for now.

biased opinion as always.................. I have a D200 on pre-order. :cool:

JohnG