1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Ode to Better Times...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by DW Brewer, Mar 26, 2007.

1. DW Brewer

DW Brewer Guest

"Ohhh, I wish I was (going to be) in the Land of Dixie..." Sure wish I could make the North Alabama Get-together; so close and yet so far... Other things interfere. However, in prelude to all the great images you all are going to get, I thought I would post one of my favorites from the 2Rivers Region; albeit this image comes with a sorrowful caveat. The tree in Grafton this pair was occupying on December 31, 2004 is no longer there. In fact, the habitat in and around Grafton is fast disappearing. Under the guise of "progress" and lots of developers' bucks, many of the old growth trees are gone; cut down to make way for condos, a new multi-million dollar marina, etc. This week perhaps the cruelist blow of all was announced. The Army Corps of Engineers is letting a permit for a privately-owned $350 million dollar hydroelectric plant to be built at the Melvin Price Lock and Dam in Alton. Very likely this will impact the eagles and the refuge at Riverlands, as the intent is to use the existing dam for the purposes of generating the elctricity. The payoff for the Corps of Engineers is that they will get free electricity to operate the lock and dam (current value about $112,000). Stay tuned.
    Oh for the happier times...
    Techs: D70+300mm+2XFC, f5.6, 1/400, hand-held

-
    NIKON D70    ---    300mm    f/5.6    1/400s   

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    You make me envious David. Haven't seen an Eagle since you, Wade, Tim, and I shot together in the Three Rivers area. :frown:

Nice shot. :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.