Ode to Mike Mac

Discussion in 'Birds' started by dmwphoto, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Mike has been an inspiration to me in many ways, but not the least of which is in quality songbird shots. I have been working extra hard to learn this and admittedly have a LONG ways to go, but the pursuit is SO MUCH of an enjoyment to me. These are taken today. After setting up a feeder a couple of weeks ago per Mikes instructions. Hope you enjoy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Paul, Frits,
    Thanks for the kind remarks. Mike gave me the pointers on feeder set up when we met a couple of weeks ago. Not a posted thread.
    Fairly simple and straight forward though. Simply plce the feeder(s) near a tree that is within good shooting range of a "strategic" spot (eg back deck etc). Give it time to gain acceptance and try to keep predators away. Placing it in too open an area will dicourage feeding if predators are an issue.
    Add bare branches poked into the ground around it for clutter free perches.
    Grab a coffee and go like He..
    Dave

4. Very, very nice Dave on all of them.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great stuff Dave...
    Gotta love those two blue jays :>))

Tough shootin those little birdies.

6. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    The red-bellied woodpecker is one of my favorite birds, and you captured it perfectly. Thanks for sharing these Dave.

7. Hey there Big D,

Like the shots, Favorite of the group is the seond one...

but did you use fill flash? :biggrin: :biggrin:

8. Gosh Dave, I never knew those little birdies could swallow something that big! Nice capture!

I think little birdies are hard because they move so erratically. You've done a good job here. Maybe use some fill on shots like the woodpecker next time.

9. Dave way to go these are great to quote the movie Field of Dreams "If you build it, they will come" Vary the seed among feeders and type of feeders to expand your setup to attract different types. These are some great shots you should be thrilled

10. I appreciate everyone's feedback. I did have the flash and better beamer attached but did not use it on all shots and naturally not these. I was monitoring the hawk and had the flash turned off to try and catch him. poor excuse tho. the second thing that I finally think I am getting through my thick skull is to convert the color space. these are adobe rgb and I am going to convert them to srgb this evening to test web display differences. I have always doubted the reasoning for Srgb, but think I will just trust the experts and comply. In any case the amount of personal enjoyment in this pursuit is what makes it so fun and interesting to me. With friends like you all out there that give help and constant encouragement, I can not help but improve.
    Dave