Ode to the Video Game (56K Beware)

Discussion in 'People' started by ShadowFox19, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Yesterday, a friend of mine told me he was playing his new video game and I thought of a photo-op. So, I lugged over my camera and SB900 and this is what came of it...Enjoy! This is my second attempt at off camera flash.

One question, why do I have grain/noise in my images when I'm shooting at ISO 100. I'm getting rather frustrated with this. I shoot without the NR feature "ON" in my camera, should I turn it on? If so, at what level, LOW, NORM, or HIGH?

C&C welcome...and appreciated. Let me know your top 3 favorites of the series.
    (Note: If you want to see higher-res versions, I posted them to my smugmug, nknutson.smugmug.com)

Thanks for looking!

VGP_0002.
    VGP_0003.
    VGP_0005.
    VGP_0007.
    VGP_0010.
    VGP_0011.
    VGP_0012.
    VGP_0013.
    VGP_0016.
    VGP_0017.
    VGP_0019.
    VGP_0020.
    VGP_0023.
    VGP_0025_A.
    VGP_0025_B.
    VGP_0028.
    VGP_0030.
    VGP_0033.
    VGP_0034.
    VGP_0037.
    VGP_0040.

2. nick
    interesting series
    but.....
    what's with THESE camera settings?

EXIF Summary: 1/200s f/8.0 ISO100 31mm (35mm eq:46mm)

why ISO 100?
    you should try
    ISO 400
    f/4 or f/5.6
    even at ISO 100.... when you DRASTICALLY UNDEREXPOSURE an image... it'll have noise, after you post process it..... that is a guarantee

leave your IN-CAMERA NR.... OFF

in the end.... the images you got were EXACTLY what was expected, considering the situation and your in-camera settings

3. I know the camera settings are odd, but I'm shooting this with daylight coming in from the window behind me. The room was actually pretty well lit.

4. fair enough
    i appreciate your reply
    but....
    as i said above.... deliberate EXCESSIVE UNDERexposure will lead to "noise" in the final image, even at ISO 100

5. i looked at your images on smugmug
    i think they turned out OK, all things considered

6. Gotcha, I'll keep that in mind in the future.

Thanks, do you know how I could have done better?

7. I would have tried to allow some of the natural ambient light to be recorded rather than just the light from the strobe.

Another, subjective, observation and opinion is that you might have tried some different angles to reduce the mostly detail-less (but with just enough detail to be distracting) surroundings and perhaps gotten in closer to his face on a couple.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2008
  8. I agree with everything Greg said....odd settings for setup like this. I would have just found a way to cover the window and adjust settings from there. Just try to get your exposure more accurate and that will cure your noise issues.

9. Thanks for your input you two, I'll keep that in mind in the future!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.