# of shots on CF card

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kccheers, Jun 2, 2005.

1. kccheers

kccheers

May 2, 2005
    Liberty, Mo
    Just curious, and it's probably been talked about here before, but I couldn't find it in a search.....how many raw + jpeg files will a 1gb sandisk card hold?

2. on what camera? it holds 47 of that combo my d2x.
    I see you are shooting a d70 by your signature.

3. kccheers

kccheers

May 2, 2005
    Liberty, Mo
    Sorry, yes I will be shooting a D70

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    About 102 (uncompressed - compressed, it depends on the subject matter.)

Here's something interesting: I bought a no-name half-gig card and it held 52 Raw files from my D100. (To make a long story less-so, I took it back and got) a 512MB Sandisk Ultra II and it only held 51 Raw shots! Go figure.

5. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I use a SanDisk Ultra II 1.0GB in my D70.
    I shoot RAW+JPG.
    The last time I "filled" my card, I had 310 images on my card, 155 RAW files, and 155 of the corresponding JPG files.

6. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Jpeg?

Why bother with the jpeg? It's very low quality and really only gives a fair intimation of the exposure, not the other elements of a decent picture. With PSCS2/Bridge or PSCS and Dr Brown's little routine, it is easy to generate a HQ jpeg. I get 194 RAW only shots ona 1 gig card.

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Re: Jpeg?

It's small, quick to display and is the actual picture you see with the LCD on the camera. Plus it has all of the non-exposure attributes (white balance, tone curve, etc.) applied, so you can use it as a reference during your RAW conversion. And it doesn't take up much card space. And for culling out obvious bad shots, it'll save you a gob of time with a large number of shots.

8. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Re: Jpeg?

My 2 bits... It allows you to make quick and dirty proofs without having to go through processing all those raw files. At least that's what I use it for.

When doing a shoot for a client, it's much faster to download JPEGs off a card than it is to download raw files. Plus, they get an instant review using any imaging browser, on even boat anchor boxes. Whereas with NEF, most RAW browsers are a bit slow, and Nikon Capture requires a killer box to run quick enough so that the client doesn't get fed up and leave.

9. Dosen't it also have to do with choices like image quality, and image size? CS Dayan

10. With RAW or RAW+BASIC it does not change with quality/size, though the precise size of the NEF can vary greatly.
    RAW is always largest size and is the highest quality, being the raw sensor data with visually lossless compression. the +BASIC is a Large/Basic compression JPEG.