# of shots on CF card

Just curious, and it's probably been talked about here before, but I couldn't find it in a search.....how many raw + jpeg files will a 1gb sandisk card hold?

Real Name
Chris
About 102 (uncompressed - compressed, it depends on the subject matter.)

Here's something interesting: I bought a no-name half-gig card and it held 52 Raw files from my D100. (To make a long story less-so, I took it back and got) a 512MB Sandisk Ultra II and it only held 51 Raw shots! Go figure.

K

Ken-L

I use a SanDisk Ultra II 1.0GB in my D70.
I shoot RAW+JPG.
The last time I "filled" my card, I had 310 images on my card, 155 RAW files, and 155 of the corresponding JPG files.

Jpeg?

Why bother with the jpeg? It's very low quality and really only gives a fair intimation of the exposure, not the other elements of a decent picture. With PSCS2/Bridge or PSCS and Dr Brown's little routine, it is easy to generate a HQ jpeg. I get 194 RAW only shots ona 1 gig card.

Real Name
Chris
Re: Jpeg?

patrickh said:
Why bother with the jpeg?
It's small, quick to display and is the actual picture you see with the LCD on the camera. Plus it has all of the non-exposure attributes (white balance, tone curve, etc.) applied, so you can use it as a reference during your RAW conversion. And it doesn't take up much card space. And for culling out obvious bad shots, it'll save you a gob of time with a large number of shots.

gho

Re: Jpeg?

patrickh said:
Why bother with the jpeg? It's very low quality and really only gives a fair intimation of the exposure, not the other elements of a decent picture. With PSCS2/Bridge or PSCS and Dr Brown's little routine, it is easy to generate a HQ jpeg. I get 194 RAW only shots ona 1 gig card.
My 2 bits... It allows you to make quick and dirty proofs without having to go through processing all those raw files. At least that's what I use it for.

When doing a shoot for a client, it's much faster to download JPEGs off a card than it is to download raw files. Plus, they get an instant review using any imaging browser, on even boat anchor boxes. Whereas with NEF, most RAW browsers are a bit slow, and Nikon Capture requires a killer box to run quick enough so that the client doesn't get fed up and leave.

AFS

With RAW or RAW+BASIC it does not change with quality/size, though the precise size of the NEF can vary greatly.
RAW is always largest size and is the highest quality, being the raw sensor data with visually lossless compression. the +BASIC is a Large/Basic compression JPEG.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom