Off-camera flash portraits

Discussion in 'People' started by Uncle Frank, May 10, 2007.

1. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. There's that UPS man agian!!!

3. How did you position your flashes for these portraits?

4. Nevermind I just saw the link.

5. A fun shot I did with my niece. You can guess where the SB800 was located while my niece was robbing through that hose. Unfortunately I didn't had a chance to find an optimal setup and also my niece refused to stay in there for a moment, so this is also an action shot :smile:
    I had to place the flash quite closely to the tunnel because otherwise it wouldn have been run over by the kids on their way back to the entry.

Although a quick'n' dirty setup I liked the result.

[​IMG]

6. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Off camera is certainly the best way.

Seems like a lifetime ago when I took this one.
    [​IMG]

7. Paintguru

Paintguru

Dec 28, 2006
    Detroit, MI
    I'd appreciate some tips on how this is done...is there a tutorial out there on this?

8. fjgindy

fjgindy

Jan 21, 2007
    Indianapolis
    This is a wonderful shot! Do you remember how you set this shot up..where the flash was etc?

9. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    That was probably one SB800 and an umbrella. I would guess that it was bounced off the umbrella. It was placed to her right and about a foot above her head. Background was underexposed by 1 to 2 stops.

It seems like a long time ago.

10. Hi, Chris! The Strobist.com gives tutorials on off-camera flash work. And we have our own discussion thread on the topic at https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=114380

Come join us!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  11. One using 3 Speedlights
    Taken with the 70-200VR and SB-800 for fill (shoot through umbrella) and SB-600 for main (brolly box). Backdrop is from a 3-panel packet of lace sheers (from a clearance type dept store for a whopping $3) laid over a white bed sheet.
    [​IMG]

One using 2 Speedlights
    Used an SB-800 for the fill at camera axis position with a shoot-thru umbrella. The main light was an SB-600 through a brolly box 45* (+/-) camera right. Used a black cloth backdrop and no hairlight. Shot manual 1/125 @ f10 using the D2x and 85/f1.4.
    [​IMG]

Two using 1 Speedlight and reflector
    Used 1 SB-800 camera right ~45* in a brolly box, a reflector camera left and a SB-600 for a background light. Used the 105/f2.5 AIS manual focus lens for this.
    [​IMG]

Again, used 1 SB-800 speedlight in a brolly box ~45* camera right, reflector camera left. Light was about 3' from him and reflector about 2'.Used 85/1.4. f5.6 @ 1/80 ISO100 in manual mode
    [​IMG]

12. Those are wonderful examples, Kevin. I notice that they're all studio shots. Do you have any examples/descriptions of location work? I think that's the prrimary emphasis of Strobist flash work, isn't it? Btw, speaking of descriptions, you wrote

Isn't that two Speedlights and a reflector?

13. Wow, what a thread! Thanks for bringing to my attention, I need to keep up with this as it appears to be very useful information.

Regards...Jim