1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Off camera flash: what cord?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Philippe Roger, Jul 17, 2005.

1. In order to use a single SB-800 off-camera with a D2H, a cord is needed (unlike the D70 which can use the "Commander mode" and control the flash in iTTL mode.

Now, which cord makes the most sense: the SC-28 (or SC-29 for the built-in AF assist illuminator), or the SC-11, which is a PC-sync cord? The SC-11 is much shorter (convenient for a flash bracket) and much cheaper... But can it be used the same way (save for the AF assist)? I haven't really found the answer: can one use iTTL mode with the SC-11, or is a SC29/28 needed for that? If the SC-11 can't be used for this application, what is it good for and/or how does one go about using it? It looks like the SC-15 is the same thing as the SC-11, except much longer... so I have the feeling that it has to do with multiple lights, when not using the SB-800 wireless system...

Thanks much in advance!

2. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I think to get full iTTL compatibility you have to use the SC-28 or SC-29. Other cords don't allow full communication from what I've been told. Even the SC-26 and SC-27 supposedly don't fully support iTTL, which is a shame because they'd be useful for using an off-camera SB-800 as CLS master.

3. Hi Philippe, I purchased the sc-29 cable. I paid ~$80 for mine locally though I could have bought it cheaper off eBay or the Internet. Other than the IR mechanism, I don't really know what other differences exist between the 29 and 28 cable.

I use mine as the fill light so needed the longer cord to reach the 800 as it sits high on a lightstand. Works very well, though.

4. Thanks Jeff and Kevin: I appreciate the help.

Yes, the SC-29 is more or less the same as SC-28 with the addition of the AF assist IR light , but my question which Jeff partially answered, was whether it's possible to use iTTL with the SC-11 PC-sync cord and if not, what is its intended purpose. :?:

5. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi philippe-

the sc-11 and sc-15 are simple pc-sync cords. all they do is trigger the flash to fire, no signal to turn off (necessary for any ttl). they're used for triggering a flash or strobe when you don't need ttl.

you can also use the sc-17 (sc-28 replaced the sc-17).

ricky

6. Thanks Ricky. That clears it up nicely: ain't that forum great? :p  :lol:

7. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    As for additional differences between SC-28 and SC-29, the 28 has a pc-sync connector on it which I guess could be used to fire an additional flash (not 100% sure on the details of how that works).

I went with the SC-28 just because I couldn't see paying extra for a feature I'm not going to use (never used the SB-800's focus assist before anyway).

8. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I use the SC-17

Off camera, it works great - here's a pic from it using a D2H

I also use it on the D2X - with equally pleasing results.

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.