Off camera flash: what cord?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Philippe Roger, Jul 17, 2005.

1. In order to use a single SB-800 off-camera with a D2H, a cord is needed (unlike the D70 which can use the "Commander mode" and control the flash in iTTL mode.

Now, which cord makes the most sense: the SC-28 (or SC-29 for the built-in AF assist illuminator), or the SC-11, which is a PC-sync cord? The SC-11 is much shorter (convenient for a flash bracket) and much cheaper... But can it be used the same way (save for the AF assist)? I haven't really found the answer: can one use iTTL mode with the SC-11, or is a SC29/28 needed for that? If the SC-11 can't be used for this application, what is it good for and/or how does one go about using it? It looks like the SC-15 is the same thing as the SC-11, except much longer... so I have the feeling that it has to do with multiple lights, when not using the SB-800 wireless system...

Thanks much in advance!

2. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I think to get full iTTL compatibility you have to use the SC-28 or SC-29. Other cords don't allow full communication from what I've been told. Even the SC-26 and SC-27 supposedly don't fully support iTTL, which is a shame because they'd be useful for using an off-camera SB-800 as CLS master.

3. Hi Philippe, I purchased the sc-29 cable. I paid ~$80 for mine locally though I could have bought it cheaper off eBay or the Internet. Other than the IR mechanism, I don't really know what other differences exist between the 29 and 28 cable.

I use mine as the fill light so needed the longer cord to reach the 800 as it sits high on a lightstand. Works very well, though.

4. Thanks Jeff and Kevin: I appreciate the help.

Yes, the SC-29 is more or less the same as SC-28 with the addition of the AF assist IR light , but my question which Jeff partially answered, was whether it's possible to use iTTL with the SC-11 PC-sync cord and if not, what is its intended purpose. :?:

5. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi philippe-

the sc-11 and sc-15 are simple pc-sync cords. all they do is trigger the flash to fire, no signal to turn off (necessary for any ttl). they're used for triggering a flash or strobe when you don't need ttl.

you can also use the sc-17 (sc-28 replaced the sc-17).

ricky

6. Thanks Ricky. That clears it up nicely: ain't that forum great? :p :lol:

7. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    As for additional differences between SC-28 and SC-29, the 28 has a pc-sync connector on it which I guess could be used to fire an additional flash (not 100% sure on the details of how that works).

I went with the SC-28 just because I couldn't see paying extra for a feature I'm not going to use (never used the SB-800's focus assist before anyway).

8. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I use the SC-17

Off camera, it works great - here's a pic from it using a D2H

I also use it on the D2X - with equally pleasing results.

[​IMG]