Off camera flash

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by danmab, Jun 6, 2007.

1. danmab

danmab

Apr 26, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Sorry if this sounds like a newbie question regarding Flash, but I am planning on either getting the SB600 or SB800. I know either one allows you to place it remotely off the camera and trigger it using the camera itself, but in doing so, does it require the on-camera flash to go off as well?

2. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Both will trigger off shoe via the onboard flash. You set onboard flash to commander mode and the SB600/800 to remote mode. The onbaord flash flashes, but not enough to add any light to the exposure. You can cover it with a bit of fabric if you are concerned.

I am certain the D80 works like the D200 in this regard, but check your flash setting for commander mode.

3. danmab

danmab

Apr 26, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Awesome, thanks for the reply!