Off Camera - My Strobist Attempt

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by paradiddle, Jul 8, 2007.

1. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    Here is a test from this weekend. This is using a direct flash and my light stand is a 9 year old. Also in the picture is a 5 year old that is crying (cropped out). It was all I could do to get them to be still long enough to try and take a few shots.

[​IMG]

2. Nothing fantastic but still a huge difference from "normal" flash shots . The average person would immediately think it was just a light from the side .
    Keep going and share the results .

3. 12 year olds make better light stands, but a 9 year old will do if they stand on a chair or have long arms :).

You created a lovely background for the portrait.

4. chemisti

chemisti

May 24, 2007
    McKinney, TX
    Excellent - you've got to start somewhere! I suspect that many "First Strobist" shots are just this basic (I know mine were) - BUT you have opened a whole new world of possibilities with off-camera flash!

Look forward to more!

5. Good start, keep it up.

6. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    Thanks to all. I really want at least one more flash, SU-800 and a couple light stands and umbrella.