Off camera single flash - help

I shoot pretty much always without flash but for some specific photos I want to use a flash and preferably off camera flash, using one flash. I have everything covered except the technical part since I'm not familiar at all with current flashes.

I'm looking for an affordable flash that I can use TTL off camera for a Nikon D600 and without another flash or the pop-up flash. I understand it is possible to control a flash (depending on which one) with the pop-up flash?

My options are all the flashes from Yongnuo and a few from Metz, anything up to the price of the Mecablitz 50 AF-1.

Even more important, I need to decide on a relatively reliable but not too expensive option for conneting/operating the flash off camera. It can be wireless or using a cable (as long as it's long enough and it doesn't have to be especially long).

Thank you!

I've never used a cable, but for TTL, I'm pretty sure (someone may correct me tho) that you need fairly recent Nikon flash for get TTL off camera. Otherwise you'll be shooting in manual mode (which, with a bit of practice, btw, is not too hard to learn). If it's Nikon, you can get an SB-600 (older, out of manufacture) or SB-700 (newer) and use your pop-up flash to control it. Otherwise, for a cheap intro kit for manual off-camera flash, the Yongnuo and transceivers are great.

A few things that are not clear to me...

1. Does the pop-up flash work essentially like a trasmitter that can control another flash wirelessly? Or do I need a cable or transmitter to do that, and the pop-up flash just works to control (but not connect) to it?

2. Does the pop-up flash have to fire when using it to control another flash? I definitely wouldn't it the camera flash to create any light when using the off camera flash.

3. When the pop-up flash controls another flash, does it mean control it as in exposure in TTL, or just that it tell it when to shoot and I have to operate the other flash manually?

I really don't know much about controlling the off camera flash, no experience with this.

Thanks

From what I understand the pop up flash when used in commander mode, does not balance into the exposure equation unless set to ttl in the on screen menus. I use the popup flash to control my SB700 and its set to -- | -- in both fields (pop up flash), and I set the flash power with the commander.

2. Does the pop-up flash have to fire when using it to control another flash? I definitely wouldn't it the camera flash to create any light when using the off camera flash.

The pop-up has to fire during the exposure to trigger the other flash though it doesn't add that much to the exposure depending on your distance.
I think you can add an IR filter to it so there is no visible light from it.

You could also try the yongnuo 550exIii(makes sure it is the ex) wi the 622 triggers. Might run you less than a Nikon flash set.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom