Off-Line for a while

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vettenut, Jun 13, 2007.

1. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    It appears my Hard drive failed while editing my most recent photo's on Monday. My External Hard Drive (Backup) had all my photo's except what was taken in the last 2 weeks. Computer is at Best Buy (Under Warranty) and they hope to be able to retrieve my files and put them on my external drive. Hope to be back in action soon with some new butterfly photo's to post. See you guys soon. - Jeff

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ohhhh what ashame....
    Hope all goes well

3. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi jeff-

ouch, that sucks big time. stories like yours make me worry about my images, as all it takes is one glitch and i've lost thousands of pictures. that's when film looks like a better option.

best of luck with the data recovery.

ricky

4. Been there recently and its no fun.
    Lucky my photos were retrieved so hope the same can be done for you too.
    Over the top or what but I then went and bought a second back up hard drive. Hoping that lightning cannot strike 3 times in one go.

5. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    Hi Gang, I am somewhat up and running. Best Buy said the hardware was OK and I needed to reload my software via PC Recovery (F10) on keyboard for an HP computer. I did this and sucessfully re-installed all my applications and saved my Data files, unfortunately every time the computer is re-booted the CHKDSK function kicks in and has a problem when verifying security descriptors. It then states "Repairing the unreadable security descriptors data stream. Unable to write to attribute 128 of file 9, Please wait while windows prepares to start..." Can't find a fix for this and the computer takes forever to start up after a re-boot. Another message that appears eventually on the desktop is "The Data required by Updates from HP is still engaged by user Administrator 55******** Do you wish to proceed here shutting down the other sesion? Choices are "Proceed here instead" or "Exit". The computer wont let me do a PC recovery via the HP Quickrestore Disks either, Any experts out there who can help???:frown:- Jeff

6. How computer savvy are you?

Did the PC Recovery just do an install over top of the current or did it completely do a fresh install?

I would always recommend you get your data off, then do a complete fresh reinstall using their automated method.

7. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    Hi Jimmy,
    The PC Recovery via (F10) upon start up will restore your computer to its original purchased state, you will lose most if not all of the applications you may have on your machine but it will preserve your data files. This method works 99.99% of the time unless there is actually damage to a file that resides on your Hard drive. If this doesn't work you have to do a PC recovery using HP Quickrestore Disks which I have but the computer won't recognize for some reason, it just states Drive not ready, error reading Drive Q, and of course I don't have a drive Q. Was up till 3 A.M. last night working on it to no avail, even purchased a few programs from Norton Utilities I thought would help but no difference. Guess I will have to visit Best Buy again today or just see if I can purchase Windows XP myself, if still available.

8. Have you run the drive diagnostics from the hard disk manufacturer to see if perhaps the drive is faulty? Just to rule out a physical hard disk problem.

9. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    Hello again Jimmy,
    I originally brought the computer back to Best Buy because I felt it was a Hard Drive problem and because it was still under an extended warranty I purchased. Unfortunately all the Diagnostics they ran says the Hardware is OK, so I basically had all my data files backed up on my external drive and threw in an extra GB of RAM.

When I went back yesterday they said to do the recovery from the disk but I can't. They charge $130.00 to install Windows XP on a machine, I would think I could get a copy cheaper than that if I could find one. Unfortunately the way the PC manufacturers embed the operating System in the Hard Drive I'm not sure if Installing Windows again would over write the files or not?

10. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    This is why I hate proprietary systems. I recommend doing a build or getting someone to do a build for you on a new system, remove that drive and attach as secondary drive to access your data, delete the old operating system, copy data back to your new drive, and use as a backup drive. Incinerate HP.

Ok, well you asked...

I paid 75.00 for XP at Educational prices, so 130 is not really unreasonable. XP is still "on market". as far as I know. I did buy an extra XP that I am not using currently for standby, just in case I need it with the current Vista stuff... lol. Maybe extreme, but I can use to reload on a notebook to avoid proprietary crap and such if it would work.

Doug

11. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    Hi Doug, it seems like most if not all Manufacturers place the Operating system along with all the junk that comes with it in portion of the hard drive that is supposedly "Safe" and of couse the Mfg. may or may not give you recovery disks. My situation has gotten worse, after being told I have no hardware problems and performing a PC recovery I still had issues. Brought the computer back to Best Buy with the "Recovery Disks" and they said my disks were bad, paid them to load the operating system minus the junk and after several follow up visits was told........It appears there is more going on with your computer than we imagined, you may have a damaged motherboard. I have an extended warranty so all the labor and hardware is covered so it is being sent out for repair, maybe I'll get lucky at this point and end up with a "New" computer. So much for not having a hardware problem. - Jeff