1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Off-Roading at Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by PAFirefighter11, Jan 16, 2019.

1. When I off-road I try to bring my D7200 & 16-80 for photos as time allows. This was my second time at Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area - aka AOAA. I love it! It's similar to Rausch Creek (Which is also a great spot!), but it's larger. AOAA allows dirtbikes, UTV's, and ATV's, as well as Jeeps and full size vehicles. On this trip, we took some greens to some blue trails and also onto a blue/black called Upper Anthracite. This trail is basically water runoff from the mountain, so it's extremely slippery with some large rocks.

Vehicles & Damage:

-(Me) 1998 Jeep TJ (No lift, 32's, open front/rear, 3.07's) - Valve stem ripped apart, skid plates took some rock hits
    -2003 Jeep TJ (4" lift, 35's) - No damage
    -1990's Toyota 4-Runner - Skid plates damaged
    -2018 Toyota 4-Runner TRD - Skid plates damaged & bumper vs. tree scuffs

1)
    DSC_2087-X3.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2)
    DSC_2099-X3.jpg

3)
    DSC_2104-X3.jpg

4)
    DSC_2108-X3.jpg

5) - Girlfriend used my camera to take this photo of me
    DSC_2113-X3.jpg

6)
    DSC_2123-X3.jpg

7)
    DSC_2133-X3.jpg

8)
    DSC_2136-X3.jpg

9)
    DSC_2138-X3.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Great series of photos. Is this area named after a near by coal mine?

3. Thank you, Jim! This park is located in Coal Township, PA. Anthracite is a type of coal & most of the world's supply of Anthracite coal is mined here in PA. It tends to be the longest burning of coals and produces very little soot/pollution. On a related topic: There's a town, Centralia, PA, not far away from here, which has an underground Anthracite coal fire that has been burning since 1962. It is expected to burn for another 200+ years. Here are two quick photos I took many years ago in Centralia:

Two%20Jeeps%20Cave-in%20HDR-L.jpg

_BCM0363-L.jpg

The town of Silent Hill, in the movie "Silent Hill", is actually based off of Centralia, PA. Pretty cool.

4. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Superb images and story! Wow! Off roading must be an extreme adrenaline rush!

5. Thank you for all the imformation. I heard about that fire beneath a town. Did it not start when burning some trash started a coal seam on fire. Is the town now a ghost town. Yup, Anthracite is the best quality coal. In the early 1900's we had five towns in the near by hills that mined Bituminous coal. Which is better than Lignite coal. The town are now gone and the mine closed down. One mine is open for tours and is in a state park.

6. 'Those are very cool shots! Looks like fun and hope most of the damage is easily repairable. My mom's side of the family is from outside Hazleton. Lots of fire roads and areas like this for off-roading.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.