Off-site storage question

I don't understand all this "Byte" stuff ! A week ago, I purchased Carbonite to back up my files from my new computer. (tired of losing stuff when these durned machines crash!) I have 495GB of data to be downloaded to their site. I started the back-up on Monday, a week ago, and as of tonight the program has only backed up 20%. They claimed it could take a long time to do the initial back-up. Their site says 30GB could take up to 10 days to back-up. Based on that, it could to take over 120 days to back up my computer! :eek: (even at 20% in a week, as has happened so far, it will be 5 weeks!) Is my math incorrect? I'd welcome comments from those who presently have Carbonite for backing up their photos and documents.

Chris,

Thats why I opted to use Acronis True Image and back up to external hard drives. Internet is just too slow to upload backups.

I can back up 500 gb onto one of the drives in less than 2 hours.

I use 3 different external drives each one holding 3 full backups.

I then alternate the drives when making my weekly backups and keep one of them offsite.

I like using hardrives and my webhosting site...webhosting site keep very large jpgs and the hard drives keeps everything...yep it runs a little bit to back up your photographs and since we no longer have negs and slides and papewr prints to fall baack on in the event of a disaster... i prefer to just use hard drives that get replaced every 2.5 to 4 years....

Nw I have not checked into cloud storage in a while, but when I did everyone I checked into had to stay connected to my computer or the back up files were deleted from the cloud storage... ...

If there is some one that I can store all my files, NEF, MRW, CRW, DNG, Jpg, Text files and all others that I can be disconnected to for weeks at a time then I will be very interested...Amazon is not even viable...meaning very cost prohibitive.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I would forget Corbonite. It would be fine for a fairly small amount of storage, like all your important documents, but not for large photo libraries. It is not an appropriate solution.

The restore time is the problem. What use is it if you have to wait weeks or even months for the data to be restored?

Your three copies on hard drives sounds good but you should rotate one to another location.

Home internet is made for download, upload is only around 20% the download speed.

It is a real pain when I FTP files to pro lab.

Latest threads

Top Bottom