Off the wall question....

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by cwilt, Jul 23, 2007.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Anyone using an expodisc to set off camera flash exposure?

I was playing with the S5 today. Trying jpeg film sim's and CLS. Since I was planning to play with jpeg I tossed the expodisc into my camera bag. One thing led to another and I ended up using the expodisc + FV lock from the subjects postion to set flash exposure. Perhaps a more consistent way for those who use iTTL metering.

Looking at the histogram and LCD seems to say it works. If it works like I think it will, it could be an easy way to pre set flash exposure.

An example of a use for it would be an outdoor portrait. You pick a location with a nice background and the spot for your subject to stand. Place your strobe for effect. From the shooting position use manual exposure or AE-L to meter the background. Then stand in the subjects spot and use FV lock plus expodisc to set flash exposure.

Normally I would use manual flash exposure and a few shots to adjust. Maybe I am a mad scientist at heart.:biggrin:

2. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Here is what I came up with. I had the remote SB800 setting on a shelf across the room. Sitting on the couch next to him I used the expodisc with FV lock. Moved to my shooting location and shot. This is an OOC jpeg from the S5.

[​IMG]

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Looks great to me.

4. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Thanks Gale. Hopefully I will get a chance to try it with an umbrella and Amanda soon. She goes back to school soon as a 2nd grader. :eek: I have not taken enough shots of her on break.