off to experiment!

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by tjk60, Sep 12, 2008.

1. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    I'm leaving in 15 minutes to drive down to Penn HS in Mishawaka, IN to see my boy play.

I'm taking the D200 and 300 2.8, 70-200 2.8 and the 85 1.8.

I'm also taking my new rig for flash, two Superclamps, 2 SB800s and pocketwizards. I can't find my SC-29 since we moved :eek: . I'll be mounting them on my monopod below the camera. I tried using CLS with them mounted low as a practice, but the flashes just didn't pick up the signal from the on board well enough to trust. (about 40% of the time), besides, if I can stay in manual, and keep flash output down around 1/4-1/2 power I can get a few sequence shots....

I'll check this post b4 gametime (7pm). If anyone has some suggestions on where to start my setting for flash, I'd appreciate it.

I'm looking to start at 1/250, 2.8 and hopefully ISO 400 @ 7pm (overcast, rain should have stopped by then). Not sure of stadium lights, never been there. ISO will head south from there I'm sure.

I figure I can start the flash at 1/4 power (two flashes) and adjust from there. I'll try and set a custom WB, but it could be tough. Auto WB on the D200 sucks. I will probaly shoot raw because of this.

Any other ideas? I will have a Sekonic L-358 with me also.

2. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    My only advice is to take a shot without the flash and get them dark enough to where the players are just shadows, then turn on the flash and get the right mix from there.

oh and gl. Should be interesting to see what two flashes can do

3. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    here is one quick one before I go to sleep:

SOOC, sharpened, watermarked. D200, 300 2.8 1/200 ISO 800, 2 SB800s mounted low on monopod, w/PW

371400171_jMNwF-XL.

4. Tim.... very encouraging
    that shot is AWESOME
    can't wait to see more

looks like the rig worked well

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    IQ is very nice, I would have thought two flash units would provide way too much light. I think you did a great job with this image and I can't wait to see more soon.

6. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Good attempt - looks good thanks for sharing Tim

7. Looks good Tim!
    Now that you're awake what's taking you so long? Where are the rest?? :wink:

8. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Awake, geez! I had Mass this morning at 830, followed by a rain soaked practice with my other boy!

9. :wink:
    Check your other post!

10. MRIMATT63

MRIMATT63

Jan 27, 2008
    Allen, TX
    Beautiful shot !

Matt.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.