Off To The North Woods ===I'm Back

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sbuttrick, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Yipeee.....I'm off the my cabin in Michigan's UP on Saturday morning. I've been waiting since last fall to get up there. Looking forward to a whole week of doing photography and maybe a little hunting too. The colors are supposed to peak in the next 7-10 days and the weather looks like it will be good. The only downside is it's a 530 mile / 10 hour drive.

See you all when I get back.

:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2005
  2. have fun, looking forward too your images. Nab a grouse or two for me please.
    Dave

3. Crisp cool nights for great sleeps, warm autumn sun on shining waters, great maple reds... ahhhhhh. Keep your camera close at hand, lots to shoot. Trust me, the drive will be worth it once you land. Get some audio books for the drive, makes the miles fly by unnoticed! Relax and enjoy!

4. Hi Scott sounds wonderful I hope for great shots and a good time!

5. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Man I wish I was going with you...
    I wanted to get up to the UP all summer long...

6. We had an excellent trip up north. I hope to get some photos posted this weekend. Temp was from 83 last Saturday to 34 and snow yesterday.

7. Looking forward to your images taken on this trip. Welcome back.

8. Welcome back, Scott. Can't wait to see you photos.

9. Come on Scott, where are the pics!!! *says she who still hasn't edited any from HER vacation in Aug/Sept!*

10. Here is a shot of one of my favorite creeks. Just did some quick PP, so it could be better.

[​IMG]

11. VERY nice indeed! I can almost smell the damp woods....

12. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Great shot Scott..
    Man that must a been a great vacation.. I can't wait to see some more photos from the UP!!

13. Wow!

Great shot! thats one for the wall, beautiful colors and love the candy floss water. I'd say 20x24 :biggrin:

14. Hope to hit the trail this week to take such a beautiful shot as yours, but most of the brooks i cross did not had sufficent flow, but we had a lot of rain lately that may increase my chance, also i might encounter a lot of mosquitos and black flies, that i don't need.

15. Gilles (and any others heading for the woods): use Avon Skin So Soft BabyOil - there's an ingredient in it that's a natural bug repellant. Trust me - I tried this out on blackflies in Pickle Lake which is the most northern spot in Ontario you cd get by road when I was there. This stuff really works! and doesn't smell as bad as DEET or gummy up your handgrips on your equipment.

16. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA

I have to Second this suggestion!!!

I used to use this when I was at bootcamp at Paris Island. It was the only thing the kept the sand fleas off of ya.

Dan

17. WOW snow already? I guess it is not too unusual in Michigan but my gosh it is only October. I guess me living in Virginia take the weather for granted so when I look at States that have snow already, Virginia's weather doesn't sound to bad after all.

18. I agree with Sandi. The black flies that bite near the ocean water really hurt so with Skin So Soft it keeps them away as well as mosquitos in the South.

19. Brew

Brew Guest

Nice shot Scott.

What part of the UP do you go to? I was stationed in Escanaba Michigan for a couple years back when I was 18. Spent a lot of time tending to light houses on Lakes Michigan and Superior, it was beautiful countryside up there.
    My favorite movie is “Escanaba in da moonlight...” did you ever see it? It’s very funny.

20. Thanks for all the comments.

Bruce....My cabin is 80 miles west of Marquette on M-28. Escanaba is southeast of the cabin. "Escanaba In Da Moonlight" is a pretty good representation of the U.P.