Off Topic: For Cat Lovers - Isn't it cuddly?

K

Ken-L

Finally a lap cat that doesn't get sand kicked in it's face!

This is the "new" breed of Savannah Cat - I did NOT take this photo, it comes from a web site.

Isn't it just so cute and cuddly? I WANT ONE!

lying_down.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ken, is that someone's pet or a very tame wild animal? If that's a pet, it would be a better watch dog than any pooch. Who in there right mind would break into someone's home with that thing looking our the window at them? Not me, baby!!!!!

Looks remarkably like this African Serval of my neighbor's

30609324.jpg

28514178.jpg

Got a whole page full of shots here:
http://www.pbase.com/sshyone/kiera_african_serval&page=all

K

Ken-L

eng45ine said:
Ken, is that someone's pet or a very tame wild animal? If that's a pet, it would be a better watch dog than any pooch. Who in there right mind would break into someone's home with that thing looking our the window at them? Not me, baby!!!!!

That's a "tame" animal - a "pet". I really would like one......I can imagine taking a photo of it chasing a dog.

They are supposedly quite good as pets. But I can't help thinking about a feral cat we took in. If it got startled when you were petting it, :shock: there was a sort-of-blur, then the realization that you were dripping blood from several places all-at-once. :twisted: Now that's with just a "normal" size cat, I shudder at the thought of an "accident" with one of these little babies!

Have you ever held a cat, and then feel the claws extend into your skin...ouch. I certainly can't imagine the pain when that thing extends it's claws because it doesn't want to be held any longer!!! "Honey...do we have any bandaids??? NO HONEY....THE BIG BOX!!!!!

K

Ken-L

eng45ine said:
Definately a serious looking feline! :twisted: Are these things friendly? Yikes! :shock:

This, from a Savannah Cat web site:

"The name Savannah refers to the African Savannah, the habitat of one of the breed's ancestors the African serval cat. The breed was named by the lady who came to own the first Serval hybrid. The African Serval was at times kept as a pet by natives in Africa but is not a suitable pet for the average house hold. The Savannah is however and still has many of the Serval's beautiful qualities but with a more amiable temperament and better house hold habits."

K

Ken-L

eng45ine said:
Have you ever held a cat, and then feel the claws extend into your skin...ouch. I certainly can't imagine the pain when that thing extends it's claws because it doesn't want to be held any longer!!! "Honey...do we have any bandaids??? NO HONEY....THE BIG BOX!!!!!

This is more MY speed......

28028583_b9a80711cd.jpg

cats.jpg

My grandfather had great respect for animals and once was invited to the West Midlands Safari Park to handle the new cubs, this photo is not of one of them! I took this at a private collection of cats which are used in breeding programs.

Captivity for some species may be the only way to keep them from extinction.

Dentist anyone?!

Now THAT's my idea of a cat!!! Funny how the head seems so disproportionately small for the body. Stunning markings!

K

Ken-L

rose_canyon said:
Heeerrrrreee Kitty Kitty Kitty Kitty!
:lol: I wonder if they declaw And defang those beasts?
Would having one of those "sweet kitties" increase your medical insurance rates? Or just your medical bills? It sure would worry the neighbors that owned small dogs! Maybe even Medium dogs!
:wink:

I think if an insurance agent saw one of these at a house you would have to find a new company! If the neighborhood didn't know you had one, and someone saw it running around, I can imagine all the 911 calls about the "mountain lion" or "wildcat"!

When we met, my wife had a cat that was a serious "scratcher". We still have that cat, it was not declawed, and just a few days of "retraining" got rid of that nasty habit, except on her scratching post.

K

Ken-L

rose_canyon said:
:lol: Brings back memories!
My sister's husband had always wanted to get a grey tiger-striped kitten and name it "Spike".

There are some personality "quirks" that just are not acceptable! If I had a cat like "Spike", I would explain to him that we didn't think he was happy living here, and we would find a more suitable place for his special talents.

I've always thought that Servals are really neat, but from what I've read they're pretty high maintenance as far as pets go. These Savannahs look pretty interesting since they've been cross-bred with domestics to be a bit more tame.

B

bstaggs

I hope my animal isn't starting to show "Spike" like behavior problems!

:D

DSC_0187.jpg

DSC_0186.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom