Off Topic - Question for Brits re mapping software

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tweber, Jul 11, 2005.

1. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    My daughter is off to London next month for the Fall semester. I've just ordered a notebook from Dell and am wondering what the comparable program to our Microsoft Streets and Trips might be for Britain. She is directionally challenged and I'd feel better if she had a nice map program for the PC.

Thanks to any friends from across the pond who might have a good suggestion.

Tom

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Don't forget to patch a GPS on the laptop and there you have it... an auto guided American in London!!! ;-)
    ...she can also use the GPS with the D2X, no? :?

4. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    Panos,

Now, if I were going I'd have my pocket PC with its GPS navigator all ready to pack. But, my daughter considers PC's and even cameras just tools and isn't so inclined to get the latest and greatest toys.

Imagine that!

Tom

5. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I bought Microsoft Autoroute 2002 (the European version of Streets & Trips)a couple of years ago (7/10/2002) from a vendor in England.

I had a very hard time finding anyone who would sell it to someone in the USA, and it is not available in the US as far as I know.

Right after purchasing it with a Visa card, there was an attempted scam against that card which was caught immediately by my card company and refused. The company I bought from was "PC Supplies Online" in England.

I paid $101.78 (USD).

6. Call me old fashioned, but I use a map ! Something about paper I suppose. I like to travel light as well - notebooks just weigh me down, its bad enough dragging it to work everyday, I'm not about to take one on holiday with me.

I also use a pocket PC, and capture images from www.streetmap.co.uk - simply put in the postcode/street name and it gives you the map. Then capture and chuck on the ipaq.

Driving directions - I grab them from www.theaa.com - again a postcode route.

Ken-L

That bites - credit card fraud is on the increase over here. A work colleague of mine just got ripped for about $7000 last week when his card was cloned.

Tom - I hope you daughter has a great time and hasn't been put off by the recent incidents in London. Good time to travel - security should be sooo tight ....

7. tweber

tweber

Feb 12, 2005
    St. Louis
    Thanks Simon. Jenny has the gift of youth and isn't as worried as we are. We're taking comfort in rationalizations, including the undoubtedly increased security and the fact that they seem to strike in new places the next time around.

Tom