Offsite Online Storage

I would like to consider companies that provide online storage as a means of having safe, secure offsite storage. My goal is to prevent loss in case of a catastrophic event such as a house fire. (I am not looking for a site to display my images.) If you can provide suggestions or testamonials, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Mike, the whole experience with this kind of storage lies in the speed of your connection. Unless you have a 10 or 20Mbit/s upload the time it takes to upload your files doesn't justify it.

Why don't you put your files on a USB drive and place this at work. I do this with my important data and all photos and I can even synchronise from work (although the speed is low because I only have a 1Mbit/s upload.

For just some smaller files I've use Mozy in the past. You will get 2Gb storage for free.

Mike, here's a site you can test your upload & download speed.

Mozy has been mentioned, Carbonite, Iron Mountain (consumer version, trial comes w/ PSE6) are others.

PC Magazine had a review in the April issue. They gave their Editor's Choice to SOS Online Backup.

Smugmug has an additional-fee service that will back up NEF as well as jpeg files, which I believe they've just unveiled. Details are here at: http://www.smugmug.com/price/smugvault.mg
I have not tried the vault service.

Barring that, I use 3 external hard drives, 2 at my house and 1 stored off-site, then rotate them. Admittedly the off-site one is not 100% current, and there is a small risk during the time I have all 3 at the house, however, I do also send the jpegs to smugmug as soon as pp'ed so the risk is fairly minimal. In doing so, I have 1 "primary" disk for working on, 1 for backup when (not if) a drive fails, one off-site for backup, and the jpegs stored off-site immediately. I realize that this seems "belt, suspenders, duct tape, etc", but after 22 years in IT, I think I've seen just about every failure possible in a system, including a dead snake!

HTH

Mike I have cable and tried Carbonite. VERY slow upload!!! I cancelled and just went back to my 3 external drive routine. I have about 50gigs of images I was trying to get to Carbonite and it looked like it would take into the next year to upload them all. I have Road Runner service which is the highest cable internet service you can get, except of course if you put a T1 line to your house, and it is only 2megabits upload speeds. Hope this helps.

Nancy

My ISP is a Cox cable connection. I have no idea how fast it is. Do you know if it's that fast?
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Check out your own connection on http://www.speedtest.net or at http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

However, bear in mind that Cox uses a tiered system. I have the premier service for my internet access, as I'm a speed demon and I want the most for my money when I'm on the computer.....

I swear by www.photoshelter.com

If you not only sell your images but offer them on a stock basis, Photoshelter is the way to go. It not only creates an e-commerce site for selling prints but you can create a virtual stock agency as well. Also, your stuff is backed up on a raid on the east coast and west coast. I pay for a terabyte of storage but in reality I have two since as mentioned, my files are stored on raids on two coasts. You can store just about any image file also. jpg, raw, tiff, dng, psd, etc. You can tak a look at my site via:

www.alexcena.com

or

www.shaleridge.net

They are actually the same site but one is customized a bit
Heck if it's good enough for Annie Lebowitz, it's good enough for me. You may also want to take a look at Digital Railroad.

Mike, I did a couple of trial runs with online storage services, and came to the conclusion very quickly that the best solution was to dump a backup periodically to an external HD and then store it in a file cabinet at work. You can get a 1Tb external drive for about $179 these days, and that's cheap insurance.

-- Russ

. I have Road Runner service which is the highest cable internet service you can get

Nancy

I would argue this point... I had road runner a while back... It was the worst internet I had ever used. If I were you I would check on getting Verizon or AT&T U-Verse and giving it a try. After moving to U-Verse there is no way on Gods green earth I will ever go back to TWC.

Tim

Mike, I did a couple of trial runs with online storage services, and came to the conclusion very quickly that the best solution was to dump a backup periodically to an external HD and then store it in a file cabinet at work. You can get a 1Tb external drive for about $179 these days, and that's cheap insurance.
How often do you test the drive at work? I assume you need to boot it up a few times a year just to make sure. It all depends on why you are storing the images in the first place. Stock sales, memories, etc. What happens when you need a file right away and your drive crashes. You may or may not have time to run over to work or your safety deposit bank. What do you do when you are traveling and a photo editor calls and says I need this particular image? What if you are at the lab to get a special print for someone and they screw it up and lost your file?

Why store the images on a drive when you can store it on-line and maybe generate revenue from your archives. Yes you can buy a terabyte drive for under $200 but a terabyte of storage at PhotoShelter is $700/yr and you can access your files anywhere anytime you have an Internet connection. Same goes with Digital Railroad and IPNStock. One or two image sales can pay for that service. If you are storing memories, you have to ask yourself is it worth spending an incremental $500 to insure their safety. We individually have to answer each of these questions but you need to think about these issues. Also, the aforementioned on-line storage services allow you to ship them your drive to upload for you. The first time I signed on to PhotoShelter, I sent them my 500gb drive with all the images organized properly. Two days after they received my drive, I received an e-mail alert indicating my files are ready. Whether you send them a DVD or a terabyte drive the charge is the same $50 to upload everything for you. When they are done, the return the drive to you at their cost. If you live in NY or CA, you can even just drop the drive off.

Alex, you make some very good points, from your perspective. As with so many things, the best course of action depends upon your situation and needs. For a working, traveling pro everything you said makes perfect sense.

For myself, I was a commercial freelancer many years ago, but now I am just an avid amateur with a medium sized collection of images I would like to protect from fire or theft. My primary repository is on an internal HD, with a backup on an external HD. Periodically (every couple of months) I dump another backup copy onto an external HD and take it to work and stick it in a file cabinet. That way if someone breaks in and steals my computer and the hard drives I have attached, at least I haven't lost all my images.

I don't have immediate need for access from the road. If I did, I would probably do exactly what you have suggested. For my current needs, my solution is simple, inexpensive, and to my thinking, pretty reliable and secure.

-- Russ

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom