OffTopic: Hilarious Obit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TOLady, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Saw this in the newspaper and just had to share it...

"F. Andrew Wagstaff, OBE (Old Bugger's Eighty) *
    Our Husband, Brother, father, Grandfather and Friend.
    Fought and died a thousand times with the DLI in 50Div and 7th Armoured from Normandy to Berlin.
    Married and loved Shirley for 54 years. Raised three sons.
    Managed and owned business from Willliams Cycles of Cheltenham to North Shore Linents of North Vancouver.
    Told the world to "sod off" on various occasions.*
    Will be much missed, but immortalized with his jokes, tales and limericks.
    Thanks to the brilliant staff at Lions Gate Hospital and all the 'bastards' who poked, cut, stitched and replaced over the years. It was, most definitely, worth all of your efforts.

I laughed over my morning coffee when I read this - we all should have such well written obits when we go. Cheers, Sandi

2. now that will brighten your day, and it is an obit for crying out loud..... too funny

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    That's certainly the slant that I want for mine.... :lol:

We at the Cafe are all fortunate just to be here on this mortal plain, and that should be celebrated, not mourned. 8)

Frank

4. I laughed out loud when I found out about the inscription on Spike Milligan's headstone.
    It reads - "I told them I was ill !" :lol:

5. I was thinking that I would make some smart-a comment about people who laugh at things like Obit's, but when I read this I got the sense of just how much this person meant, and while humorous it really gives a sense of how much respect this fellow had. Made me feel as if I have missed out not knowing him. When my Dad died one of our Italian relatives came up to me after the burial service and said "You know, I was so tempted to walk up to the casket and crush a beer can to drop in, your Dad would have love it", and he was absolutely right. We forget, until it is way too late, what these things mean. I'll just refer you all back to Peter Bendheims thread on his folks.

Thanks, Sandi, for both the humor and the reminder of what is important. I can only hope that someone cares that much about me when I am gone.

6. Yes, Bill, it's the little things that count in life, esp at the end of it. A few years ago, a good friend of mine died and I asked his partner to slip a $500 bill of monopoly money into the casket, as we used to play Monopoly together all the time. He smiled a huge smile, gave me a hug, and said he'd do it with thanks.