Oft heard but not seen

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Bob Coutant, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    I could count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I’ve seen the oven bird (Seiurus aurocapillus) in over fifty-five years of casual bird watching. I can hear them announcing the approaching sunset almost every evening, but this wood warbler is bashful when it comes to public performances.

I was just walking behind the house when I heard and saw this one in a black locust tree in front of me. It quickly jumped behind some leaves. I stopped in my tracks and set up the tripod. The bird kept on singing, and, after 5-10 minutes, popped out to see where I was. One shot and it was gone. Hope it doesn’t take another fifty years to get a second photograph:eek::biggrin:.

DSC_1819sm.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Neat capture Bob. My Sibley says that this species should be around this area. I'll definitely have to keep my eyes (and ears) pealed. :smile:

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice shot

4. Great catch Bob.

I hope it will be back and pose more for you.

5. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks Frank -- looks like you might be on the fringe of its summer range, but its winter range is not that far away. Once you hear its distinctive call, it's not likely that you'll forget it.

Gale and Phil -- thanks for looking and commenting.