Oh Canada! Your Snowbirds flew South for the Winter!

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by drueter, Oct 10, 2005.

1. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    The Snowbirds of the Canadian Airforce were the feature performers at the Wings Over Houston Airshow last weekend. They put on a good show, but the weather was overcast most of the day and I didn't have a long enough lens. I still took over 1000 shots with the D2H machine gun, but have a lot of processing to do yet. Here are a few of the Snowbirds:

Take Off:

In formation - Top View:

View attachment 16694

In formation - Bottom View:

View attachment 16695

Which way is up???

View attachment 16696

Close Call (Easy to tell which plane I was tracking! Shutter speed way too slow!):

View attachment 16697

There were a lot of other planes flying during the show and I'll post more threads as I get things processed in the next few days.

2. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi don-

i like the motion blur of the last shot, shows you that the plans are moving. you've got your timing down pat, the wings are neatly lined up on that shot.

the snowbirds performed at last year's fleet week airshow in SF in lieu of the blue angels (they were flying in hawaii i think). they're not as fast as the angels, but it's still great precision flying.

ricky

3. Callie

Callie Guest

Hi Don
    Thanks you for the welcome
    Love this type of photography too, have never done it, as I think we have maybe 1 or 2 shows here a year in SA, and never anything as grand as you guys have across the pond. Lucky guy to own a machine gun - I would love one to shoot our own birds, real ones from take-off.
    Regards
    Callie

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Don,
    Must have been a great site to see. We haven't had an airshow since 911.

Nice images.

Can't wait to see some more.

How is your daughter doing.

5. Don, thanks for sharing. Aren't air shows fun to shoot, PP is rather slow going as I think everyone gets sooo many shots to go through. Really liked the shot "Close Call" - the motion really adds to it.

Mike

6. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Okay, I'm not familiar with this aircraft. What is it?

Excellent captures. Airshows are great fun. Unfortunately we don't have many around here and when we do they aren't that great.

Oshkosh is on my list though. :smile:

7. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Patrick - I didn't get a program at the show (and now regret that decision since I now can't identify many of the aircraft), but as I recall, the Snowbird aircraft are jet trainers built in Canada by Canadair. They're smaller and slower than the jets flown by some of the other show teams posted in other threads, but they're still a lot of fun to watch and shoot!

8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great captures, Don. The image with the two crossing is very nice. You mentioned that your shutter speed was too slow...but the end result is still very nice. I shot a similar image (check my avitar) using a shutter speed much faster but the end result was certainly no better than yours. I'd print that image and frame it!!!

9. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005

Thanks Mark!!!

10. We were supposed to have a show in Thunder Bay .....had my camera...long lens...monopod all ready...then we heard over the shortwave..."one bird down....he's got lots of silk..."

Fortunately all they lost was a plane...it landed in a field in town...the pilot was picked up in the bush by one of the intrepid thunderbayites....who picked him up on a quad....

Didn't get any pictures. but all things considered no one was hurt- which was much more important.

bohdan

11. Enjoyed your images, thanks.

12. Woohooo, look at those boys fly!!! These are terrific pics, excellent captures, esp the formation shots!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.