Oh No! More Dragons - Comparing 200 to 300

I went out yesterday to the pond inbetween raindrops, which means early afternoon. Dragons were busy in the glaring sun. I brought my 300 f/4 and 200 f/4 micro to see which I might like better. The 200mm is quite a bit lighter. I think it does as nice a job for shooting dragons. What do you think?

300mm

2623940700_f362fd1353_b.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

300mm

2623956532_c3a4b0da2a_b.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

200mm

View attachment 218212

200mm

View attachment 218213

200mm - Don't know what this teeny tiny is??? Severely cropped.

View attachment 218214

Looks as if either will give you excellent results. Just depends on which one you are more comfortable with. If either meets your working distance and magnification preferences, go with it. I use a Tamron 180 and like it very much. It is light, focuses down to 1:1, and is fairly sharp IMO. I have the older 300 f4, and need extension tubes to get the necessary magnification, which kills metering for me (just manual tubes and D50).

Hi Birgit!

Difficult to say which one is better. I use 300 and my friend use 200. I have tested his 200 and I would say there´s really no difference optically... I like 300 more because of the working distance, ofcourse...

I was just thinking that what was the metering mode you were using as 3rd one looks excellent but then there´s some really bad blown shots like #4? I use usually center weighted and don´t have that kind of an issue (or were you using a Canon camera:biggrin:)...because some how I can´t think it would be a lens related... Or is is Post processing thing?

Hi Birgit!

Difficult to say which one is better. I use 300 and my friend use 200. I have tested his 200 and I would say there´s really no difference optically... I like 300 more because of the working distance, ofcourse...

I was just thinking that what was the metering mode you were using as 3rd one looks excellent but then there´s some really bad blown shots like #4? I use usually center weighted and don´t have that kind of an issue (or were you using a Canon camera:biggrin:)...because some how I can´t think it would be a lens related... Or is is Post processing thing?

I am finding that I get about the same working distance with the 200 micro as I do with the 300 when shooting dragons. I am able to crop in pretty close with a 200 micro.

I was using matrix/exp +0.3. We had quite variable weather. I am sure when I shot #4 the sun came out full strength. I will set for center weighted and hopefully get better results! No Canon LOL. Not PP either. Just me:frown:

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it.

Nice shots (except #4) The last one is a moth - Virginia Ctenucha. We even have them up here!

I use the 200 micro but I've purchased a PN-11 tube and will get a 300 f4 for the working distance.

Cheers,

Larry

Nice shots (except #4) The last one is a moth - Virginia Ctenucha. We even have them up here!

I use the 200 micro but I've purchased a PN-11 tube and will get a 300 f4 for the working distance.

Cheers,

Larry

Thanks, I did not think that little thing was any kind of butterfly! It looks like a little person in a cape.

I must look into a PN-11 tube:biggrin::biggrin:

Birgit,
I really like the Widow Skimmer in #2, very nice shot. The blue one in #3 appears to be a Western Pondhawk (Erythemis collacata) Male.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
My favorite 300/f4 dragon fly shooter is Ronnie Gaubert. He lives in southern Louisiana and has a wonderful garden in his yard that attracts lots of them. He takes the most spectacular macro and close-up images of dragon flies, butterflies, etc. He uses his 300/f4 in combination with extension tubes to permit closer focusing and more out-of-focus backgrounds. Check out his work.

My favorite 300/f4 dragon fly shooter is Ronnie Gaubert. He lives in southern Louisiana and has a wonderful garden in his yard that attracts lots of them. He takes the most spectacular macro and close-up images of dragon flies, butterflies, etc. He uses his 300/f4 in combination with extension tubes to permit closer focusing and more out-of-focus backgrounds. Check out his work.

Walter, Thank you for the url. I took a look and his shots are awesome!

Latest threads

Top Bottom