Oh no, more flowers

I think I'll pick up a macro lens next month.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Chris101 said:
I really like that second one, Mike - it's ... different.
Thx! I've seen the black background effect a lot on indoor plants but never on wild flowers. Saw lighting conditions and a background I could work with and that's how it came out.

One way to get the black background in macro is to just take a piece of black matt board with you and place it behind the flower or subject when possilbe. it creates a nice contrasty picture and the colors will jump out at you.

Scott Sherman said:
One way to get the black background in macro is to just take a piece of black matt board with you and place it behind the flower or subject when possilbe. it creates a nice contrasty picture and the colors will jump out at you.
Or just find a well-lit flower, a somewhat dark solid background in shadow, and expose for the highlights on the flower. The high contrast forces it to go to black naturally.

Not a fan of bringing along all that extra gear just for some flowers :wink: Though I might change my mind when I start lugging around the tripod for macro work.

virtuamike said:
Thx! I've seen the black background effect a lot on indoor plants but never on wild flowers. Saw lighting conditions and a background I could work with and that's how it came out.
I agree...I like it when the lighting conditions are just right. I waited quite a few days for the lighting to be just right on a tree in our back yard to get the desired effect in a shot. I was glad I did.

Btw, the 4th shot is my favorite....again, your lighting is just lovely! And with the soft colors, you did a terrific job.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom