OH NO!

Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
6,099
Location
Denver, CO
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)


Consistent front focus!

I never noticed this until just the other day. Is it possible for AF to drift off over time?

Thoughts and or opinions anyone?
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
15,253
Location
Marysville, WA
cwilt said:
Consistent front focus!

I never noticed this until just the other day. Is it possible for AF to drift off over time?

Thoughts and or opinions anyone?
Well, I hope to heck that any camera I have focuses in front. It would be pretty boring to see nothing but my face if it focused in back now, wouldn't it :?: :?: :?: :?:

I am sure in a strange mood tonight, I mean this morning, and that is going some for me.......
 
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
84
Location
Macau
Hi, Charles,
Some months ago, when I got my D2x I did that test w/105DC and ended leaving my combination D100+105DC w/Nikon service. They checked it out and found that the DC lens was OK; the camera D100 had front focus that I never noticed for 2 and a half year and had it calibrated which took 1 month time. Back at home I checked the 105DC on D2x and found that the focus was marginal at f2; 2.8 and 4. Do not remember if I dial in the RF or FF. Working w/f5.6 and DC at neutral, I was able to get a very nice pic of a flower, to my satisfaction, with good defocus background.
 
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
6,099
Location
Denver, CO
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #10
Retief said:
Well, I hope to heck that any camera I have focuses in front. It would be pretty boring to see nothing but my face if it focused in back now, wouldn't it :?: :?: :?: :?:

I am sure in a strange mood tonight, I mean this morning, and that is going some for me.......
Focus should be about 1/3 in front and 2/3 in back. I would take 50/50 but instead this is showing 100% in front with some lenses.

Still in a strange mood?
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
15,253
Location
Marysville, WA
Charles, yes, and my mood got even stranger once I got to work this AM, it is becoming quite dangerous I fear....

I think that a number of things make these issues so difficult to figure out. You have not only the body, but each individual lens and then there is the test itself, which must be correct. I think that what would really help to figure this out would be if Nikon, and not Paul as a surrogate, were to provide the correct "focus target" and instructions I'll bet that a lot of this could be cleared up, or at least better understood. And in those cases where a focus problem is real, then much more consistent data could be provided to Nikon for "the fix". Best case would be a method whereby we could figure out if it is the body, the lens or a combination of both which need to be returned for "fixin'". I can't imagine much that would be more frustrating then to return the camera, have Nikon "fix" something and then have the same or a worse problem with one particular lens.

cwilt said:
Retief said:
Well, I hope to heck that any camera I have focuses in front. It would be pretty boring to see nothing but my face if it focused in back now, wouldn't it :?: :?: :?: :?:

I am sure in a strange mood tonight, I mean this morning, and that is going some for me.......
Focus should be about 1/3 in front and 2/3 in back. I would take 50/50 but instead this is showing 100% in front with some lenses.

Still in a strange mood?
 
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
6,099
Location
Denver, CO
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #17
After trying my lenses using a different method it seems like my primes are not the best choice. My AFS lenses focus properly but my AF-D's are not. Manual focus or switch to slow AFS lenses. This sucks! :cry:
 
Joined
May 20, 2005
Messages
4,010
Location
Youngsville (The edge of nowhere), North Carolina
cwilt said:
After trying my lenses using a different method it seems like my primes are not the best choice. My AFS lenses focus properly but my AF-D's are not. Manual focus or switch to slow AFS lenses. This sucks! :cry:
Charles, allow me to jump in here and tell you that the test you are using is flawed... period. To prove this simply mount it to something (piece of lumber) so that it can be placed on it's edge and try the test again. I did this and the results were completely different and yours will be too.

If you have real life images that you have problems with post them.

Woody
 
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
6,099
Location
Denver, CO
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #20
My D2x will ship out Monday overnight to Nikon for repair. Hopefully it will come back quickly because I have a trip to Utah in a month. :(

The D70 seems so small now. There is a bright side to this. I can be a sloppy shooter again. :?
 
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom