Oh-oh, More discrimination

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Palouse, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Hmmm.......if they're going to disallow "video cameras" due to broadcast exclusivity, then maybe they need to also disallow all those P&S that shoot video! :tongue: :rolleyes:

I must say, I've not heard the "getting in the way" excuse before!

2. The Ben

The Ben

Oct 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    just buy a Canon G9 then. Best of the P&S is still good enough.

3. PhotogWannabe

PhotogWannabe

Mar 19, 2007
    BC
    Yes, just get a point and shoot that's around 8-10 megapixels and has a built in mega-zoom and the average joe will be better off than if he brought his DSLR.

4. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    Same policy at the RUSH concert I went to but I got this with my PS.

[​IMG]

5. tintingkc

tintingkc Guest

Thats pretty common practice. There is a venue here where I live that has free concerts every week. Some big bands and lots of new bands. You can stand right up at the stage and take as many shoots as you want with a point and shoot. You can't even get in the door with a dslr without a press pass. 95% of the events that go on around here are the same way. I have to call ahead to most of the clubs I shoot to even make it past the door with my D300. If its a private show or event then that is the general rule. Too much paranoia and over protecting these days.

It can take a lot of the fun out shooting but times are changing.

6. Guys
    don't forget a lot of politics here... they just want to have less visibility on what's going on there... Did you know that also national flags are prohibited?

7. SCREW.....focusing of course

POLITICS in today's world where all is for the best in this best of all possible worlds! Oh well, I guess this means we will need to each acquire a camera with "screw" focusing.

Maybe during the next Olympics we will be allowed to use DSLRs without memory chips and batteries. .....and we live in progressive times?????

Tom

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2008
  8. You crack me up!!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::eek:

9. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    What about doing background checks for all folks who own cameras? Is this what it's coming to? I can see giving a hard time to people "hanging around" the Olympic areas with cameras (any cameras) prior to the events, but DURING the events? I'm pretty sure if they disallow dslrs, they need to disallow ALL cameras, including camera phones. Let's face it, if terrorists are going to do something, they can use any kind of camera. I think it's fair to say no flash for obvious reasons, but to not allow dslrs in and still allow point and shoots, in my opinion, is a bunch of BS.

10. Well dam - Oh well, at least packing for the trip to Hong Kong will be easier.

Don

11. Given that so much high-end photo gear is now made in China, one would think they'd welcome the sales that the games would create!

Is Fuji still an "Official" sponsor of the games? I guess they have little to gain in a digital world! (Remember the Coke-Pepsi battles of earlier games--one was a sponsor, the other not, and they had a heavy-handed ban in place against the others products!)

12. Hate to be a cynic, Cleo, but it just comes naturally. This is not about terrorism, this is about money!

Tom

13. Technically DSLR's are not any more obstructive than a point n shoot unless you have the large lenses on them. What they should do is just not allow tripods or lenses over say 6 inches. That would get rid of the obstruction, but keep everyone else happy to get the shots they want that they might not necessarily get iwth a point n shoot.

14. Always follow the money.

15. Exactly. The only reason for such bans, at any type of event, is the producer's concern that fewer souvenirs will be sold, if patrons can take photos that are as good as the ones in the gift shops.

16. I agree. Tom Mike and Cliff have correctly identified the motivation. DSLR's are seen to be a means of competing for imagery of the site or event because of their perceived higher image quality. There are valid arguments for both sides of the issue.

17. It wouldn't surprise me if they are pushing this information out now to dissaude as many people as possible from bringing them (for the reasons stated above) but will allow them in reality for people who bring them anyways (within reason). A D3 w/ 500mm probably will get stopped either way - but would they really stop a D40 w/ 18-200mm - I doubt it...but we'll see I guess.

18. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    Yeah, I can see that. But can you apply for credentials to shoot? I suppose you can't have everyone close to the action...

19. So, you go to China for the games and a trip of a lifetime, and you plan on taking thousands of pics of the country, except at the games. What do you do with your D40/80/200/2x/3 and the rest of your camera and the rest of your travel gear while at the games? Leave it in your hotel room? Lock it in your rental car?