Oily skin fixes

I am trying to fix fairly large patches of oily skin in a pic and at the same time using Woody's skin treatment. The complication is I use GIMP and have no heal tool. I use clone to remove small blemishes and imperfections and then apply the Woody's treatment (first time for me so a very clumsy application).

When I get to the last step "adjust the opacity until you have a natural skin texture" I run into a problem. If I dial back the opacity enough to reveal skin texture then the oily patches start coming back. If I keep the oily patches out I end up with the following

447879510_08fe8c3776_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

which is kind of fake to my eye. To clarify I am only applying these techniques to the grooms face.

I tried the burn tool on the oily spots but it makes dark blotches on the skin and the clone tool leaves patterns.

Any advice?

Many people when they use the clone tool do so on normal at 100%. When working on bright or dark blemishes on a persons face I like to use the clone tool set on darken (or lighten) at about 10%. When used this way it does not leave blotches on the skin and just fixes the blemish itself not the surrounding skin. When using the clone tool in this manner it will be necessary for you to "pick up" the skin tone surrounding the blemish by holding down the Alt. key and clicking the good skin. Once you have done this you can then go over the blemish several times by using the click hold and then go over the blemish technique. This will only affect the darker (or lighter) blemish itself and not the surrounding skin which is the same color that you just picked up when using the Alt. key.

Retouching is the place for this.
Photo clinic is for how to shoot it. They are not retouchers.

Hi Gale, just so that we don't mislead anyone the Photo Clinic does indeed have have mentors that are skilled in retouching. Wade as an example teaches Photoshop in college and Woody is also skilled in the use of photoshop and has several tutorials in our Tutiki forum. Lisa was also a mentor on Photo Clinic at one time and we were sorry to see her have to drop out for awhile. My point is that we do much more than try to teach people how to take pictures. :smile:

Photo Clinic is a teaching how to shoot something or shoot it better
Retouching is a totally different subject.

The kind of advise I gave in message #3 above is an example of the kind of advise we give on the Photo Clinic all the time. I don't want to argue about this but also want people to know that the Photo Clinic does give retouching advise when it is waranted. I certainly am not trying to get people from the retouching forum to come to the Photo Cllinic as there are some real talented and skilled people on this forum. I have learned a lot by reading some of the posts here.

Well then Gordon open the photo clinic retouch as one forum to all.
Obviously the retouch forum has been ruined now anyway

That would solve the whole thing

I appologize if I have offended you, that was not my intent at all. The retouching forum is one of my very favorites on the Cafe and I love the skilled people that make it so.

I had stopped checking back on this one after a week. I see things really perked up.

Retouching is the place for this.
Photo clinic is for how to shoot it. They are not retouchers.

Also gimp has a forum
http://www.gimptalk.com/forum/board.php

Thanks Gale, I have been lurking a bit on dpreview and gimptalk, both have been good resources.

Many people when they use the clone tool do so on normal at 100%. When working on bright or dark blemishes on a persons face I like to use the clone tool set on darken (or lighten) at about 10%. When used this way it does not leave blotches on the skin and just fixes the blemish itself not the surrounding skin. When using the clone tool in this manner it will be necessary for you to "pick up" the skin tone surrounding the blemish by holding down the Alt. key and clicking the good skin. Once you have done this you can then go over the blemish several times by using the click hold and then go over the blemish technique. This will only affect the darker (or lighter) blemish itself and not the surrounding skin which is the same color that you just picked up when using the Alt. key.

Thanks Gordon, I had basically discovered much of this through trial and error with the emphasis on error, though your codifying it has made a big difference in both speed and results.

Try posting this in the 'Photo Clinic' and one of the mentors will certainly help you out!

As to the where this belongs... I went here for advice because the 'Photo Clinic' seems geared toward the more open ended "I have a pic with potential, how can it be better." Where my question seemed pretty specific, especially with the GIMP part. Besides I didn't want to cross post. In the future I will certainly consider the clinic.

Latest threads

Top Bottom