Ok, dog portraits coming up Sep 10th, I need "some" lighting...

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by iLLMaCK, Aug 30, 2008.

1. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

I've got a "dog party" I was hired to take pictures of. They want portraits and then I assume group shots, and just candids of the party.

I'm looking to get a few umbrellas, stands, etc just to use for the portraits with a background.

What packages are available, or kits, to solve what I need?

I have...

D200
    sb-600
    sb-800
    sc-29

I'm thinking about renting a few things, or just buying them. I'll def use them in the future but right now what I'm concentrating on is portable lighting...

What are your ideas?

2. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Hi Dave
    Not a lighting expert but do you have a good store near you? Maybe Calumet? They will rent equipment.

You have the strobes so you probably just need a couple of lightstands (you can also consider using your tripod(s) if you fit the little feet to the SB's) - maybe consider some umbrella swivel adaptors? I went to my local Calumet and it worked out slightly cheaper to get 2 relatively lightweight lightstands, swivel adaptors, and umbrella and a tripod case to store it all in.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge/experience will reply! Sounds fun - how do you get into "dog parties"?

3. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

Leah,

Calumet, closest one is Philly :)  There are a few stores near me I'll pop in to see what they have, although I'd rather purchase as I'm going to be needing this stuff soon anyways. Might as well get it now.

I'm thinking I'll get some light stands and a few umbrellas with the clamps to mount the SB-600/800 to the umbrellas and use one on each side. Now I'd just have to get the settings dialed down correctly.

I'd also like to get a case, so maybe they'll have something for me to look at.

I've started to get ready to do dog portraits, etc but I hadn't "advertised" that yet but she is a friend. She has these parties often w/ all her friends and they hired a "pro" to do it last time and she wasn't really impressed w/ the pictures or package options/prices. So, I told her I'd give it a whirl.

4. find out what the 'pro' did and make sure you avoid that!

with lighting especially portable setups simple is best,. perhaps you could use natural light and reflectors?

5. Dave,

What you need is a simple setup that is versatile and gives you some freedom. At the same time, unless you work with very well behaved and trained dogs, you may want to work from a smallish elevated platform that will not provide much room for the dogs to go so you can pose them. The higher you put them, the less likely you'll end uo with the dogs jumping down from the platform.

Take a look at my setup in this thread: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=183485

I used 2 of each: SB-25, umbrella, light stand and eBay triggers. I borrowed this kit from a friend and I am currently building my own. Have a look at my last picture to see how I set it all up.

A few weeks before borrowing the strobist setup from my friend, I had made a few tests outside of my house. You can see the results here: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=175622

Please take a look at post #14 (https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showpost.php?p=1937385&postcount=14) to see my portable studio. This works great for small dogs and cats but it would need to be scaled up a bit for larger breeds. I really suggest a full scale backdrop for very large breeds like Saint-Bernard and Great Danes.

My dog Darwin is not trained at all but he stayed right in the middle of the platform while I was taking pictures of him.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

Thanks Jean, that's very helpful

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.