1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

OK, finally nailed an OM-2

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by chubasco, Aug 17, 2009.

1. braver

braver

Apr 2, 2008
    netherlands
    Well, at least thats a great price. Gotta love the OM viewfinder and the way everything feels. A shame that my OM-1 only took a couple of rolls for it's shutter to die. Since there is no affordable servicing around here I had to let it go. Hope you have better luck with yours!

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow. Forty five bucks! Good deal.

However, I noticed that the camera had been used professionally, so you will probably want to give it a CLA before long, to keep it in the pink, as it is probably 25 years old or more. When you do, send it to John Hermanson in New York for his service package. He is the guy for OM service.

Anyway, the fun part will be finding the Zuiko lenses for it. They are built to exacting specs, and are second to none - as good as Nikon, Zeiss and Leica, as any zuikoholic can tell you. Have fun!!

3. Bill, good going on a good deal. Looking at the hot shoe it appears that you have scored an Olympus OM2 md and a black one at that!

4. Koen and Chris, thanks for your comments!

Chris, thanks for the heads-up about John Hermanson. I will shoot one roll through it and
    if it needs service, will be sure to send it to him. I have the Zuiko 3.5/28, 1.8/50, and
    somewhere around here I have a Zuiko 135, think it's f2.8 still need to find it, but have
    two lenses to try as soon as it arrives.

5. Ray, I need to read up on the different OM models, is this good because of
    the batteries? Thanks for your comments.

6. Yes, just pop in a couple of silver oxide 357's or equivalents and you're good to go! The batteries last quite a while. The OM2 is great camera, small as a Leica and darn near as well made! In manual mode you have a match needle display and in auto mode you have an LED display - pretty slick, huh? Once you get used to the shutter speeds being on the lens mount, you'll be good to go!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2009
  7. Cool! Supposed to come with batts, but have some 357's if it doesn't!
    Thanks, Ray, can't wait to try this camera!

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Bill, here is the ultimate website resource for all things OM.

Ray, for an instrument many more times more complex than even the tip-top Leica, I would say an OM2 (reflex viewing, otf metering, familiar back loading, brass body, and more) it is as well, if not better made than an equivalent Leica (which would be the M7 or M6 ttl version, each of which run in the thousands of dollars.)

The OM 1 and 2 are true gems of the camera world (the OM 4 and OM3 are more expensive, but the 1 and 2 are meant to be used, while the 4 and especially 3 are now collectors items.) Be sure and burn some film with your 'new' one Bill.

9. So true, so true! I have an opportunity to pick up a couple of mint OM 4s at a good price. If I do decide to buy them it will be to turn them for some profit!

10. Great camera. I loved mine before it got stolen. Have fun with it.

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    OM4s ... multi spot, is that right? Or is that the 3?

12. Chris, thanks for the link again and this time I did some reading. Looking for
    more glass, is the Zuiko f4 75-150 a good zoom or should I just stick to primes?

@Photojazz, thanks!

13. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I wondered that myself. Be sure and give us a report if you do get the zoom. But Zuiko primes are heaven.

14. Sangetsu

Sangetsu

Apr 18, 2009
    東金市
    I can't say enough good about the Olympus OM cameras. I bought an OM4Ti last month, and I've been carrying it everywhere. It's hard to compare it to the Canon F1 I usually carry, the OM is superior in just about every way. It is lighter, smaller, has a better metering system, and, as Chris said, the lenses are remarkable.

Yes, Chris, the OM4 models are multi-spot, which I am just getting the hang of using now.

The only thing about Zuiko lenses is that the better primes are rather expensive (compared to my Canon FD glass), but they are lighter and more compact. Last week I scored on a 55 1.2, and a 35 2.0. They weren't exactly cheap, but they are wonderful lenses.

15. Yeah, I've used the Zuikos I have on an Oly e300 so know they are good performers, can't wait to try them with film. The 2/35 is one I'm after and of course the 18mm
    (f3.5?) will have to wait, seen some fantastic architectural shots using that lens, but goes for a lot on ebay. Think I will pick up the 75-150 zoom as they seem to be quite cheap.

Sangetsu, post some pics from the 1.2/55 and 2/35 sometime, thanks.

Chris, will post some pics from the zoom when I get one.

16. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The 55mm is a lens that has fascinated me for some time. I have heard that some versions of that lens have a thorium glass element, which means the lens is radioactive. I do not know if this is true or not, but should be easy to tell. I would love to see what it does as well, at both big and small apertures.

17. Sangetsu

Sangetsu

Apr 18, 2009
    東金市
    I was unaware that Olympus used thorium glass, though I have a couple Canon lenses which have it. Here is a picture of the lens mounted on the OM4, with another 55 1.2 which I have mounted to my F1.

TokyoMarunouchi081.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'll post some pics as soon as I get some developed. I took a few last weekend, but I haven't developed all of my film yet.

Edit: After a little research I found that this particular 55 1.2 lens does have thorium/fluoride glass. Apparently it was used on the "chrome front" 55mm 1.2 lenses with serial numbers below 136***.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2009
  18. Sangetsu, pretty cams!

Here are some hurried test shots so I could post feedback on the auction using cheap Memories 200 film and the Zuiko 1.8/50 lens:

sab1.jpg

rns1.jpg

omlf1.jpg

clar1.gif

Metering seems to be good and no light leaks...
    Here's a rather crappy pic of the lil popsicle:
    View attachment 402681

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2009
  19. Sangetsu

Sangetsu

Apr 18, 2009
    東金市
    Wow, great shots... I'm going to have to try some color film and see how it comes out. I was prowling around the used camera shops here in Tokyo again today, lusting after all the good stuff they have. One shop had a 28mm f2 that I'd love to have, as well as a 90mm f2 macro. Another shop had 50mm 1.8 zuikos for only $10 each, and a compact 35-70 for $10... But, I have my eyes on a new lens for my D300, so the OM stuff will have to wait (for a little while).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.