1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Ok. I think I'm ready

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by BourbonCowboy, Aug 16, 2009.

1. After several agonizing days of waiting on my film to arrive from Freestyle (one mixed up order, my fault; and Velvia being out of stock, their fault), I think I'm finally ready to shoot my first roll of film in several years. Here are my weapons of choice:

-6057.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Well Mark, I'd say you were locked and loaded! Looking forward to see how the Sigma renders on film. No doubt about its capabilities on digital!

3. I'm kinda wondering the same thing myself. I've decided that my first experiment will be with a roll of Arista Premium 100 B&W.

4. Welcome back to the world of film, I have a feeling you will be pleasantly surprised :D 

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    But, but ... your picture shows BW400CN! And your strap says Kodak film!

Ok, I know people claim that Arista is really Plus-X, but I am not quite convinced. Ok, it is probably "special" plus-x. I found Arista 400 to be slightly higher contrast (or slightly slower) than real trix, so I'm extrapolating.

Yer rig looks cool. Be careful - film cams are chick magnetic!

By the way, what did youdo with the BW400CN?

6. That combo looks like fun!

7. The only reason I'm starting with Arista instead of the Kodak is 'cause I bought five rolls of each, and the Arista is cheaper. After a roll or two, I'll feel more comfortable burning up the big bucks.:biggrin:

And what a tragedy that would be...:biggrin:

It's sitting on my desk right now. I'll prolly stick it in the fridge with the Velvia and the rest of the Arista.

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    How will you develop the Arista?

9. I'm gonna ship it (probably) to NCPS - and have the negs developed and scanned.

10. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    I wish. My wife looks at me like I'm an even bigger dork after I started shooting film :frown: You need to show her the light, Chris.

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Oh, I hear you on that Jerry! Likewise, my girlfriend just doesn't get the whole film thing (she calls my Leica, an antique!)

I was actually thinking of those post-modern, 20-somethings looking for an anonymous hook-up to help them connect with the past.

:Unsure: (Yeah, um, right.) :rolleyes: 

12. Yea, you let me know when you find one of those...meanwhile I'll go back to reality reading the Penthouse Forums...:biggrin:
    Is there still such a thing as Penthouse?:eek: 

13. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA

Not so sure about Penthouse, kinda like being in a candy store with no money. :frown:

My girlfriend says that film is a waste of money, and that most of my cameras are beyond antique (junk). She doesn't want to wait for the results, wants them instantly, if not sooner. She does like the results, though. I may convert her yet. She also doesn't care for the weight of some of these old bricks.

Mark, You are doing fine, great camera, great choice of film. We will be awaiting the results.

14. Then she'd really hate my old camera...

_DSC0947.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Once I get the hang of film again, I'm gonna put a few rolls through it. It's a 1927(or '28) Kodak Retina. I had it CLA'd last year (after I took this shot) by a guy in New Zealand named Chris Sherlock. He seemed to do a fine job, and I can't wait to put it to use.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll get some shots as soon as I can.

15. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    Those old cameras are a kick to use. I have more fun with my old Graflex SLR's and my Brownie Box cameras. Always get positive comments. People find it hard to believe that you can still get film for them. That old Retina is a beauty.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.