OK--I'm not a wildlife photographer

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Terri French, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I decided on my recent trip that I pretty much stink at photographing animals. I get too excited and in a hurry and screw up on some basic things. Anyway, I thought you might enjoy seeing the animals I saw on my recent trip to Yellowstone Park. Some were doing some unusual things. By the way--we were very close to the bear, but I was inside my car. Just couldn't get a different angle to keep the sun off the lens. Didn't have time to grab the lens hood.

View attachment 15870

The elk were thick at the park headquarters at Mammoth Hot Springs. We got a kick out of this one drinking from a hose.

View attachment 15871

View attachment 15872

View attachment 15873

View attachment 15874

This elk chose an inactive formation at Mammoth Hot Springs to rest. I only had my 18-70 lens with me. Wish I could have zoomed in more.

View attachment 15875

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Not an animal photographer???? I'd say you are with this shot! Very nicely done, Terri!

3. Hi Terri, you have really been doing some traveling lately. The wildlife shots you can get in Yellowstone are amazing. I'm glad you got to practice your skills a little. The huge bull elk by the river is a really nice shot. Glad you could share you fun with us.

4. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Hi Gordon--
    All these shots are from the same 2 day trip. We drove over 700 miles and stopped every few minutes for more photos. It was fun. I'm almost through postprocess the over 300 photos that I took.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Good job Terri,

I would be thrilled with all of them...

That is one huge Bear, wow..

Good work Gal

6. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Not a wildlife photographer !! Who said that ???

Tell me I'll go straighten that boy out

All nice like others like the bull elk

7. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    That last one is truly the most unusual picture I have ever seen from that part of Yellowstone.

And I have seen bison in the parking lots, but never elk.

All great.

8. You could have fooled me. The last bull elk is special but I get a kick out of of the one at the picnic table it's like I'm here where's the food :biggrin:

9. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Geez Terri, if you're not a wildlife photographer then ...then... I'm speechless. Some great shots there!

Neil

10. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I'm with Neil. These are great and you are a wildlife photog.

Thanks for sharing.

11. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Terri, Terri, Terri,....... :Depressed

Will you please have a bit more self confidence! Seriously!

This is getting a bit old! come on now! have faith in your abilities. Look at all those great replies you just received. BELIEVE THEM! I tend to be an apologist for my work and only folks like Ufrank, and others finally beat it into my skull that I do have things and quality photos to offer. Don't berate yourself and knock yourself down.

Now on to a lighter note: :eek:

Sure some of the photos compositionally aren't textbook perfect, (mine never are) and the lighting wasn't always the best,(not always under your control) and you could have had a longer lens, (LLD) etc. etc. etc. and sure you didn't have the lens shade on the camera for that black bruin, but you had your camera and still took good photos!

Your photo of the elk at the water edge with the blurred background is Great!

The elk lounging at the building/picnic table is very unique and a great shot!

See how I placed that in bold? It is the truth. So :smile: apologize now for having such a low self esteem, and believe us. Also, take another look at all of those great replies in the other forum on your beautiful landscape shots.

cheers,

Wade

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2005
  12. Terri, we all know that Neil is NOT speechless. That guy can talk and then some! :smile:

Which means, that you must be a wildlife photographer, you just don't know it (sort of like Mr. Jourdain who was making prose unknowingly, if you know a bit about Moliere's play, "Le Bourgois Gentilhomme").

Seriously, there are some very good ones here, including the elk by the river... the bear running at you (good thing you were in the car!), and I got a good chuckle at the elk ready for the picnic to begin. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Congrats and thanks for sharing your many trips with us.

13. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice shots, Terri! I agree with many of the comments above - you are a wildlife photographer! Lots of practice like this will continue to improve your success rate. Love the shot of the elk at the river! Now, let's see some more of those 300 shots!

14. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    OK Wade--I apologize. Thanks for your encouragement--your zeal at lecturing me made me laugh!!!

15. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Thanks all

With encouragement like this I might even try to take more animal photos.

Be watching this forum--I will show you some "real" and very, very serious wildlife photographers. Yellowstone was full of them right now, I'm assuming for the mating season.

16. Looks like a wildlife photographer to me...

Great shots Terri! Especially this one:

17. Great shots, the only wildlife i have seen on my last outing was a squirrel that was begging for peanuts.