OK, latest Hummer effort w/2 SBs

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Steve S, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    I think I'm getting closer to what I'm looking for, but would still like some feedback. I used an SB800 on-cam with a better beemer, set to master & 1/4 power, and shot from about 25 ft away. Then another SB800 off to the camera's left, opposite the direction of the sun, also set to 1/4 power.
    original.
    original.
    original.
    Model NIKON D2X
    Flash Used Yes
    Focal Length 700 mm
    Exposure Time 1/250 sec
    Aperture f/16
    ISO Equivalent 800
    Exposure Bias +1/3
    White Balance
    Metering Mode multi spot (3)
    JPEG Quality (6)
    Exposure Program manua

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    ohhhh very nice. love to see motion in the wings. looks so graceful. good job.

sure take alot of practice doesn't it.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    You're getting real close now Steve, and you are really starting to make me jealous. 8)

I still haven't seen a single hummer at my new feeders yet, so I can't even start the learning process. Guess I'll just have to enjoy your shots for a while longer. :wink:

4. Coming along nicely Steve, the first one is very nice.

Martin

5. Definitely coming along Steven, nicely done!!! I thought you would have these hummers trained by now!!! 25ft? man you slowly got to work your way closerrrrrrr.

It would be interesting to see you closer, drop your speedlight power down to 1/8th or even better 1/16th power which will mean you will have to adjust your aperture to a smaller number, f8 is a good number ;-). Shooting from that distance it wont hamper your shot...........best way is to shoot in manual and meter your flash to nail your exposure. Your background is dark because your flash is brighter than you ambient light, ever thought of doing a background??

Looks like your having allot of fun and it is taking you no time, she looks great!!!

6. Very nice...!!....caught tongue sticking out in #2 :wink:

7. I am voting for the first one

8. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

If you are just learning how to capture these little guys, you get awfully good marks. #1 is fantastic. #2 would be too if the feeder wasn't in the picture. #3 makes me want to know whether you were firing away at 8 fps? I can't give you any advice on lighting technique because you are way ahead of me, but I do think you can get closer with patience and maybe camouflage.

Gordon