OK! My D700 and Tamron are here!

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by SmilesLots, Aug 27, 2008.

1. SmilesLots

SmilesLots Guest

Two deliveries by UPS, but they are here. Most everyone knows about the D700 - I love it. A little bigger than the D200, but very manageable. The Tamron has a bigger barrel diameter than the Nikon 18-200VR. But it also has a clip to prevent lens creep when the lens is carried pointing down. Nice feature. Ordered it with the UV filter; comes with a shield like Nikkors.

Focus seems sharp all throughout the range, at least as much as I could tell using a six foot carpenter's metal straight edge (about 2 inches wide). VC worked fine with my shaky hands, so that's a plus. All in all I'd say the Tamron is about the same on the D700 as the 18-200 Nikon was on the D200. It's a keeper so far. For my picture taking I want lots of depth of field; no portraits here. Tried several iso's on the D700 from 200 to 3200 and available light, vibration control on, hand-held. Clean almost noise free at the high end as expected. And quite sharp images (all taken inside so far). Looks like a good copy of both the camera and the lens - to the extent that my feeble expertise can distinguish.

If you are on the fence about a D700, here's my vote for going ahead and doing whatever it takes to get one. The low noise high iso is just what I've needed. I'll keep the D200 now as a spare for those well lit times. All this rain and clouds we have will give this puppy a real test, but I'm amazed at the colors even with the poor lighting. I'll post some pictures soon.

It's currently pouring down rain here in Roanoke with more expected tomorrow. So it may be Friday before I get outside to take any "serious" train pictures.

Thanks to all.:biggrin:
    John:biggrin:

2. Congrats!

3. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Hooray! Congrats, John :biggrin:

4. CONGRADS!!! Bring on the samples...... You've got a hold of a lens / camera combo that a lot of us are wondering about....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.