1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Ok so when is the NEW 70-200 2.8 VR coming???

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Bryan Pritchard, Sep 15, 2008.

1. when?

Probably right about the same time the new 85 f1.4 is coming...Nikon rumors has it that way anyway. I am keeping an eye on developments pertaining to the new 70-200 if it is indeed to be. Although I really (truth told) would rather get a 200 / 2 but the price differential there is subsantial...someday...

2. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    Any time within the next 5 years?

Anyone who knows isn't saying anything, and anyone who is saying something doesn't know.

You can be sure that Nikon is aware of its shortcomings on FX format, and the addition of VRII and Nano coating would also make sense. But who knows where it falls in their list of priorities?

Nikon have been busy updating their lens lineup over the last few years, but there is still a way to go. We now have a complete set of VR superteles, although the first of these lack nano coating or VRII. I guess at some point we may see "II" versions of the 300VR, 200VR and 200-400VR with these new features.

We have several new special purpose lenses, including new tilt-shift lenses, and two macros. That still leaves the AF 200/4 micro to be upgraded to AFS and possibly VR.

We have two new fast zooms in the 14-24 and 24-70. You could say the 70-200VR was the first of the wave of new lenses, but it's already getting a little old and it has shortcomings as we know, so it will be due for an upgrade at some point.

The DX lineup is pretty well filled out with consumer zooms and three professional lenses: 10.5 fisheye, 12-24 and 17-55. Although not perfect, Nikon probably feels these are good enough for now.

That leaves the wide, standard and smaller telephotos. This is the category in most urgent need of updating as these are all old designs. There have been plenty of rumors/wishlists of an AFS 50/1.4, AFS 85/1.4, 300/4 VR and others. I suspect we will see something here soon.

Now that the FX format is becoming more common, we may also see new slower zooms appear, along the lines of an improved 24-120VR or the old 28-105 macro. Also add a new AFS 80-400VR to this list.

Nikon keeps pretty quiet about new products, we'll only know what appears closer to time they are announced.

3. Yeeesss! I do hope...

4. when ever it does come, dont expect it to be in your hands for at least 3 months knowing how nikon can be at times with getting stuff out there to joe public. :) 

5. Shing...
    that is true. However, which would be better, the current method, or waiting for 3 more months to receive the "announcement" that the new item is on the shelves? I don't know the answer, but I am ready whenever they do an upgrade! Yes!

I would really like the 400mm II...........yessssss:Exclamati

6. true, but the announcement of the new 70-200mm has been coming for the past couple of years. i for one am happy i bought the "old" 70-200 in the time people have been waiting for the announcement.

7. Yeess...true, works your patience against NAS.
    Everytime I start to look at a lens... :Whistle:

8. NAS, should be added under list of diseases. i have been afflicted by it many a time. more so this year where the bug has bitten the hardest with no signs of slowing down. hehehe

9. Since Nikon never lets us in on anything until after the fact, it amazes me how people can speculate on what they might do.
    Did anyone predict all of these slow kit type zooms? What are they for?

10. What's wrong with the current 70-200 VR? Sure it vignettes, but I'd rather have some AFS primes. Especially the 50 and 85. With Nikon releasing bodies with no built-in motor, it makes sense that these primes are given priority to cash in on a huge market of consumer shooters. Heck, I think the 80-400 VR should be upgraded first with N coating and AFS before the 70-200.

The problems with the current 70-200 is more a result of internet whiners. I make money off my equipment and I feel that the 70-200 VR is up to task in professional applications. If you really have a problem with it, go buy an 80-200 AF-D. Seriously, Nikon has given up the strongest lens and camera body lineup to date. We have the best zoom and super telephoto lens photos right now. I for one am not complaining.

11. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    No.

For the small matter of making money. Seriously, providing a cheap body and kit lens is probably more important than the top end stuff. After all, they sell lots, and if someone gets one, maybe as a present, chances are they will buy into the Nikon system rather than, well, you know who ... After all, the 18-200mm zoom is a very decent performer, and has encouraged many to go Nikon rather than, well, elsewhere.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.