OK, what the heck flower is this??

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by pbenedic, May 14, 2005.

1. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    BTW, the detail and colors put out by the D2x are simply MIND BOGGLING.
    View attachment 8876

2. Don't have a clue but you have made a couple of beautiful images out of it.

3. wnor

wnor Guest

name of flower

This looks very close to the Ragged Robin except for the color. The Robin is more purple than blue. Maybe in the same family.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Think I have seen it but have no Idea.

Sure are pretty shots though.

thanks for sharing some of your spring with us. :>))

5. I have them in the garden but I don't know what there called but you have captured the color of them nicely.

Martin

6. Any towns specific in Washington State?

Just wondering since I live in WA.

I have no clue what kind of flower it is but it looks awesome.

7. WOW, I really like these shots. Such an unusual flower!! The first shot out of the two is my favorite!! Well done!! :D :D :D :D

8. hawkbug

hawkbug Guest

I live on Vashon Island in Washington State and these flowers grow in abundance here on the island.

[​IMG]

So, is it "Ragged Robin", "Chickory", or something else?

Thanks,
    Hawk

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Pat,

I can't help with the ID either, but it is a beautiful flower and a very nice shot.

10. I am going to stick my neck out here and say that this is definately a CORNFLOWER. Look up Centaurea cyanus and Centaurea montana. The latter is the PERENNIAL CORNFLOWER It used to be very very common in the UK but was killed off by the intensive farming techniques using fertilisers and weedkillers.
    A bit like the poppy. Some waste ground and barren ground still have swathes of both but they are now rather few and far between.

BW. Bob F

11. hawkbug

hawkbug Guest

Yes, I believe you are correct. I searched the internet for Cornflower and found a number of photo matches that were dead on.

Thank you!!!

Hawk