OK whats the deal 7100 viewer

Also, Adobe CS5 has no support for the D7100. You need to use the latest Adobe DNG Converter to first convert to DNG before they can be used in CS5. Also, upgrade to the latest version of NX2 for D7100 support.

thanks guys, I have a mess, up graded ViewNX2, it said to delete old version, so I did, very tired now, i deleted NX2 in error, reinstall and now doing all updates, urggggggg

will try codec ans dng converter, thanks

Real Name
Randy
windows or cs5 won't open nefs ?
do you mean windows won't display thumnails ?

no hope for cs5 or lr3 so update nx2

windows or cs5 won't open nefs ?
do you mean windows won't display thumnails ?

no hope for cs5 or lr3 so update nx2

hey Randy, windows will opens it in a thumbnail in a folder, will not open in windows photo viewer.

cs5 will not open NEFS

will open in ViewNX2

I don't use lightroom

will not CS5, do I have to get CS6?? that will PI** me to no end

still upgrading Capture NX2

Follow the rec. by Bytemrk and download the Nikon Codecs for your system this should allow you to view in Win Explorer

http://www.nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/

Also follow the advice of Kees de Bruin, as stated there is no support for D7100 in ACR version in CS5. You will need to convert a copy of your Nef’s using the free Adobe DNG converter (vers 7.4) to give you a raw file that CS5 can understand from your camera
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows

OK Capture NX2 is up and running

CS5 still will not open the 7100 Nef files with DNG 7.4 converter, I see an option set up screen, think it would be automatic don't know how to set up DNG screen............codec is done loading bye!.

Send a message via Skype™ to Randy
i had to upgrade to CS6 for ACR 6.7 for the D7100 or maybe the D4, can't remember which but this has to stop soon for me as I am sick of sending adobe money just so I can open a new camera's NEFs

Thanks SAME HERE!!
after many ventures and jumping through hoops, I am ordering CS6, but does anyone know if I will lose all my presets and add ons?? from my CS5?

Darrell, look at this thread.

got it PA thanks!!, what a bunch of baloney, I have a problem jumping through hoops to do things, it works, but a bit of learning curve.:biggrin:

I'm still getting CS6 though, this week new camera, new 500mm lens, and now CS6, I am officially DONE!! donno if I should be happy or mad:biggrin::mad::rolleyes::smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Randy
yep they all have us raw shooters right where they want us and there's little we can do about it. If we thoight 'having to upgrade to CS6 and LR4 was bad' wait until we 'have to join Adobe's CC'

I posted this in another thread, what can we do:

1. quit shooting RAW
2. stop buying new cameras
3. stop using lr4 and cs6

these are all very 3 hard choices for me. #1 is NOT going to happen for me. I can't seem to make #2 happen. I really like LR alot, way better than anything else I have tried. If lr5 can open a D400 NEF I can always get to CS6 (assuming the new ACR that will support D400 nefs in LR5 won't work in CS6) via a TIFF pass via the LR 'edit in' function.

p.s. i have been told lr5 will be purchaesable outside the CC

Note: CC = Adobe's Cloud

Real Name
Randy
got it PA thanks!!, what a bunch of baloney, I have a problem jumping through hoops to do things, it works, but a bit of learning curve.:biggrin:

I'm still getting CS6 though, this week new camera, new 500mm lens, and now CS6, I am officially DONE!! donno if I should be happy or mad:biggrin::mad::rolleyes::smile:

trust me you won't be done by a long shot but step 1 towards the cure is to at least tell yourself you are done:smile: (this advice is coming to you from one of the worst addicts here:biggrin:)

What's next when the newer camera comes down the road and CS6 won't open it and those clowns at Adobe decide not to update? They just did it and you ran out and ordered the next version? Only to read the nef?

I think if you are running so much through PS that a quick convert to dng for the editable ones is a tedious process, then maybe you need to get into LR or toher software.

If you are just processing with slight adjustments, then you can blow through a lot in LR and then pick and choose what you want to convert to dng for PS.

By the way, not sure if it was mentioned but the nefs don't go away when you run the dng convertor, it just makes a copy if you like. The originals are still safe.

What's next when the newer camera comes down the road and CS6 won't open it and those clowns at Adobe decide not to update? They just did it and you ran out and ordered the next version? Only to read the nef?

I do not understand why this keeps coming up. Photoshop is not ACR. Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) is the piece of the puzzle which renders RAW files. Since the dawn of man, Adobe has not seen fit to retro-fit later releases of ACR back into prior versions of CS (or PS back in the day). This is not new at all. On the other hand, the ACR functionality is built into LR, so newer versions of the ACR functionality, including new cameras, have a chance to show up new versions.

Adobe has commited to enabling ACR 8 in CS6, so we at least have a modicum of "future-proofing" with CS6. The CC versions, of course, will always get the latest and greatest.

So, in short, this is not some new behavior from Adobe, it has been the norm for as long as I can remember.

I like a lot of users of Lightroom are intimidated by the layout and a collage degree to use it, a program that is a like or dislike, plus I have a LOT of plugins that are attached to CS5 as well as my brushes, I have trained myself to Capture NX2 for pinpoint color control and local shading, Adobe is no different than Nikons choice to change the Nef format well knowing they are throwing a wrench in the spokes. what the hell are they thinking other than money!.:Angry:

What about ACR 9, 10....? :frown:

Exactly the same as before, you will need to get an upgrade after CS6 if you want to use it with CS. You can't get ACR 7 in CS5, so why would you expect any different "future proofing" from Adobe? I'm not saying I like it, frankly I think it stinks, but this is no different than it has been

Real Name
Randy
I like a lot of users of Lightroom are intimidated by the layout and a collage degree to use it, a program that is a like or dislike, plus I have a LOT of plugins that are attached to CS5 as well as my brushes, I have trained myself to Capture NX2 for pinpoint color control and local shading, Adobe is no different than Nikons choice to change the Nef format well knowing they are throwing a wrench in the spokes. what the hell are they thinking other than money!.:Angry:

there is a big difference:
nx2 does at least release a (free) point release so nx2 can digest a new nikon camera's nef file
adobe updates ACR to do the same thing but often makes you buy a new CS in order to use the new vers of ACR

What about ACR 9, 10....? :frown:
If the CC model was not in place we would still all be in the same situation of either accepting to pay for an ACR upgrade with CS7, CS8 or CS9 or using the Nikon version of NX2 or View NX or another.

As to Nikon, Canon or any other manufacturer quite simply they have to supply some software to read their own proprietary raw format which appears to be different for each new model.

Latest threads

Top Bottom