Okay, another noise reduction problem/question.

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by tomtodeath, Aug 28, 2008.

1. tomtodeath

tomtodeath

Jan 11, 2007
    new jersey
    Ive been using a D200 for some time now, and this whole time Ive been thinking that when I have the in camera noise reduction set to "OFF" that it wasnt doing any noise reduction. But the other day I did some ISO3200 shots in raw+jpg and noticed a big difference in the noise in the raw file; it was finer, and there was a bit more detail. Anyway, I cant really shoot raw on a regular basis, my computer is too slow to run lightroom, photoshop, capture, etc for such large files. Not to mention the lack of disk space..

So since theres no way to turn noise reduction completely off, is there an easier faster way to convert raw files straight to jpg (no editing)?

2. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
  3. Tom,

IIRC, above a certain ISO (800 I think), the D200 always does some NR, and certainly at around 3200 it will do so.

I believe that Irfan will let you read/import RAW files and convert them to jpg in a batch mode (and it's free).

4. tomtodeath

tomtodeath

Jan 11, 2007
    new jersey
    I should have been more specific, Im using a Mac, so Irfan is out of the picture, and View NX wouldnt install without having Capture installed.

Is that true for all digital SLRs or are there any models that allow NR to be completely shut off when shooting jpgs?