Okay, can you guess where I took these pix?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Scott Sherman, May 12, 2005.

1. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Scott -- Nice shots! Actually you gave us a third clue -- the lens used! Must have been in a museum or other display with dioramas of these beautiful creatures. Don't know the exact place, but am I getting close?

2. WOW, I had an enjoyable time viewing these images Scott......WELL DONE!!! :D :D :D :D

3. You guys are too sharp. Your exactly right. They were in the Vancouver Museum and they were dioramas. I shot the images using a wide open aperture to get blurring in the background. The animals are taxidermied and set in rocks or trees with painted backgrounds. If you look closely, you can see that the background is painted, but it was fun playing around to get the look of being outdoors in the wild.

The owl was actually a glass enclosed exhibit in very low light, so that probably should not have been included.

all shots were hand held and strange lighting, similar to stage lighting in a play. Interesting though.

glad you enjoyed them, they were just for fun.

4. You had me until I got to the black bear shot! The only way you'd have a pic of that black bear on your camera is if he'd swiped your beloved out of your hands, and was munching away on your tripod!

5. Hi Scott.

Were these in Vancouver or Victoria? I know the Royal Museum in Victoria has some dioramas and thats the one we always go to. I can't remember going to the Vancouver museum, although I probably did as kid growing up in Vancouver and suberbs. It looks like I'll have to rectify my oversight!

Sandi, Here in BC, bears are more common than you may think. We've had bears in our back yard a couple of times in the past few years and I'll never forget the Halloween when I looked out to see if any more kids were coming and saw a large bear strolling down the street as calm as you please. In the bush, I've had one follow me after a bit of a confrontation. I always carry bear spray with me as I hike in the bush on my own quit a bit looking for wildlife shots. :) :)

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. Okay, this one is the real deal. This beauty was shot outside in very dark overcast skys during intermitent rain in late afternoon. horrible conditions. Hand held 85mm 1.4 lens shot at f2.0. I was using a D70.

Wanna guess where this one was shot. (Yes it was in Canada but where in Canada?)

8. Nice images Scott. I don't have a clue on where the image above was taken.

9. Oh Dennis,
    You were right, it was in the Victoria Museum. Sorry, my bad....!

10. Thanks Gordon,

I can always count on you for a smile and a compliment. You seem like a really nice guy.

Here is another clue...

Same lens, same f stop, same location.

11. Here is one more clue. These wolves were outdoor in the same horrible lighting, 85mm 1.4 lens at f2.0. If you have been to western Canada, I bet you know where these were shot.

12. We actually became quite chumy with the bears. Here you can see one of them actually took time out of his busy schedule of impressing tourists to give my wife a much needed massage....

original.