Okay I must be nuts but... I am thinking of selling

Opinion warning - don't buy the 80-400mm if you want to shoot birds or anything moving in low light - from my experience.
I went to 400/2.8 af-i to avoid the frustration of low keeper count and slow focus under those conditions.
Wouldn't sell the 85/1.4 .... to anyone but me.
I'll relieve you of your burden should you decide it necessary.
All the best
Dave

Gale probably has the most impressive collection of images taken with the 80-400VR. You may want to spend a little time looking at those images. They are excellent!

The 80-400VR feels much lighter to hand hold than the 70-200, but feels heavier than the 70-300. The 80-400 is shorter, and the weight is closer to your body. And since it is not constant aperture, it "packs" shorter in your bag. I find it a great travel lens for that reason, when I need greater reach than the 70-300.

May I inquire the motivation behind getting the 80-400 VR? May be, flexibility?
Longer reach more flexibility in good light and somewhat good light to be used with the D2Hs :smile:

Opinion warning - don't buy the 80-400mm if you want to shoot birds or anything moving in low light - from my experience.
I went to 400/2.8 af-i to avoid the frustration of low keeper count and slow focus under those conditions.
Wouldn't sell the 85/1.4 .... to anyone but me.
I'll relieve you of your burden should you decide it necessary.
All the best
Dave
It is to be used in daylight, street photography mainly... I want to try it.

Gale probably has the most impressive collection of images taken with the 80-400VR. You may want to spend a little time looking at those images. They are excellent!

The 80-400VR feels much lighter to hand hold than the 70-200, but feels heavier than the 70-300. The 80-400 is shorter, and the weight is closer to your body. And since it is not constant aperture, it "packs" shorter in your bag. I find it a great travel lens for that reason, when I need greater reach than the 70-300.
I like the 70-200VR and should probably go for it but I feel like I'd like a longer reach

Very slow focus compared to 70-200, and yes I had one, and 2 - 80-200 AF-D 2-ring lenses.

Crazy, no. But I guess my question is why? And since I don't know what else you have, are you covered at 85mm with other glass?

What are you looking to do with the lens?
I am left at the moment with the 17-55/2.8 and the 85/1.4 - don't get me wrong I love the 85 but I want a way longer reach in daytime than the 85 can provide me. For some street photography this said... The 70-200 should cover me better for street photos than the 80-400 ...

I have the 80-400, 70-300, 70-200VR, and TC-17. The 80-400 is much sharper than 70-200 + TC-17 IMHO. It is slightly sharper - but obviously enjoys a much longer reach - than the 70-300.
For the beach or Paris the 80-400 would be great :smile:

I recently parted ways with a lot of glass that was some not too bad stuff (some MF, some AF) because I never put them on my camera. I wanted to keep stuff I knew I would use. The 70-300VR for my kids outdoor sports, the 24-120 VR for every day use, the Sigma 10-20 for Landscapes (the thing I really love to shoot), and the 50mm f1.8 AF because I bought for next to nothing, and will use it at times. Why have 12 pieces of glass that never get on the camera sitting around collecting dust? You know what you shoot, you know what you have time to shoot, you know what you need. The 85 is a wonderful piece of glass, but if you never use it, why keep it?

Dude,
Thank you for the nice compliments:>))
Much appreciated.
Focus is alot faster on a D2 body
My D200 does a good job of pushin the ol" beast...lolol
Even with a 1.4 TC:>)))
I have been using that lens for about 3 years.
I cursed it with the D100, but still got some good shots off with it.
Robin got some good flight shots with her D70s also.

I can't afford the 7 thousand dollar lenses or carry them for that matter .

So I am pleased to have 400 to 600 mm at all.

Hi dude, I am sorry I am not to familiar with your work but if i recall it is mostly cityscape. My father owns both the 85 1.4 and the 80-400 Vr. I have played around with both for some time. Nothing will beat the IQ and "creaminess" of the 85 1.4 but there is something to be said about going from 80mm to 400mm. The quality in the 80-400 is also very nice. So only you can answer that question but I would say either lens would be a fine pick. My only qualm with the 80-400 is its AF speed(d200 and d2h).

For me, any lens that weights more than 0.8 Kgr is just unacceptable... :667:
But then, your needs may be different than mine :Whistle:

what about

a used 300 f4 instead, i think they are reasonable and maybe you could still keep the 85 1.4 in the process. I imagine you can a tele-converter to the 300 as well for more reach.

Not really sure . . Maybe I'm lost . . ! !
MY Thoughts....

I have the 80-400vr and yes, I agree with many of the comments that have been posted, not that good in low light, slow focusing, etc etc and whilst I would love to own a 200-400vr or a 300/400 2.8 I cannot justify paying 4x more to get to 400mm.

Here's a couple of my favourites...See what you think..?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It also works with the Kenko 1.4 tc..Not qiute as sharp but it does get you to560mm...

Only you can decide what's right for you...:confused::confused:

Send me the 85 ;) Kidding of course.

As for what I have seen, it really depends what you are going to shoot more. Portraits are amazing with the 85 f/1.4, a friend of mine lent me his and now it might make it on my unrealistic wish list (the one I hide from my wife!), but if you are wanting more reach then the 80-400VR seems a good way to go, but haven't there been rumblings that it might be updated soon?

Perhaps also consider

If you would use it for street photography, the 80-400 is much larger than the 85. It would probably draw more attention to your person than the 85.

Also, you cannot focus from close-by with the lens, think it is something like 4 meters.

Of course, all other statements regarding the lens are true as well (IQ, not that heavy, amazing reach for cost).

I like the reach and versatility of my 80-400, but I just can't seem to get pics that are sharp enough to make me happy with it. Could be my shooting technique, but I don't have as much trouble with other lenses.

Those are simply superb! I think I really want the 80-400 :smile:

I have the 80-400vr and yes, I agree with many of the comments that have been posted, not that good in low light, slow focusing, etc etc and whilst I would love to own a 200-400vr or a 300/400 2.8 I cannot justify paying 4x more to get to 400mm.

Here's a couple of my favourites...See what you think..?

It also works with the Kenko 1.4 tc..Not qiute as sharp but it does get you to560mm...

Only you can decide what's right for you...:confused::confused:

Not really sure . . Maybe I'm lost . . ! !
Thanks for the comments Dude:smile::smile::smile:

If you like my bike pics there are more here....

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=120064

All the bike pics are with the 80-400vr

Last edited by a moderator:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom