Okay- JUST out of CURIOSITY...

If the Nikon Full Frame camera rumors happened to be true- not that I would be buying one anytime soon- but is it only the DX lenses that would not work? :confused:

So for instance- out of my kit- the 50mm f1.8, 70-200mm f2.8vr, and 105mm f2.8vr should work but the 17-55mm f2.8 and 10.5mm f2.8 Fisheye would not?

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Nobody knows for sure (except for the folks who've signed a NDA, and they can't talk).

But if you look at the D2x, you will notice that it has a HSC crop mode, which uses the central part of the sensor. One presumes that Nikon can't possibly miss the fact that a 36x24 sensor could be cropped to 1.5x (= DX) to yield compatibility with the literally millions of DX lenses, albeit at reduced resolution.

If the Nikon Full Frame camera rumors happened to be true- not that I would be buying one anytime soon- but is it only the DX lenses that would not work? :confused:

So for instance- out of my kit- the 50mm f1.8, 70-200mm f2.8vr, and 105mm f2.8vr should work but the 17-55mm f2.8 and 10.5mm f2.8 Fisheye would not?

Thanks in advance for the clarification.
Even the Dx lenses will "work", but you will get some dark areas around the corners. The problem is that the image circle produced by Dx lenses is not quite as large as the original 35mm film image.

DX lenses will work just fine. Your corners will be black, but that makes your pictures look more natural.

the 17-55 f/2.8 will work full-frame in the telephoto range, so no worries.

P

Paul.r.lindqvist

Your corners will be black, but that makes your pictures look more natural.
:confused:

Whats natural about black corners (as in no data) do your eyes render 4 black corners ? Why do you see it as natural ?

Its not the same as vignettem since it will gradualy go from dark to lighter from the corners to center. (and far from every image benefit from this effect)

This is a black patch in every corner.

Last edited by a moderator:
The DX zooms will work fine in full frame from about 1.5X the minimal focal length to the maximum one, so the 12-24 will work properly from around 18 to 24, and the 17-55 will work without vignetting from about 27 to 55... So I've heard. I don't have a full frame body... yet. :wink::smile:

The DX zooms will work fine in full frame from about 1.5X the minimal focal length to the maximum one, so the 12-24 will work properly from around 18 to 24, and the 17-55 will work without vignetting from about 27 to 55... So I've heard. I don't have a full frame body... yet. :wink::smile:
Unfortunately thats not quite true, I've thrown my DX lenses on my N80, and believe me, there are black borders pretty much no matter what you do.

the Sigma 10-20mm is the worst for that, The sigma 18-200 is also pretty bad, I think theres only minor vignetting at 15-200mm but it would still show up in the picture.

We will also find out that with a full frame D3* the IQ of many (full frame) Nikon AF lenses will not be that good, especially at the corners...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom