Critique Oklahoma Senate Chamber

I visited the Oklahoma State Capitol last month. Unfortunately, it was undergoing major renovation work during my visit. This work will continue into 2022.

It was fascinating to walk into the building. The entire interior was filled with scaffolding. All the floors were torn up...dust everywhere. I'm kind of surprised it is even open to the public at this point.

A section of the basement is complete...and that's where the visitor center is located. I was told that just one room was open--the Senate Chamber. Trying to access the chamber involved navigating a bit of a maze. But, eventually I found my way into the gallery.

After taking some images from the balcony, it took me a while to figure out how to access the Senate floor. Once I did, a woman who was working at a desk just outside of the entrance was reluctant to let me enter. She was saying she wasn't sure if it would be OK. I quickly assured her that it was OK...that I have photographed the many Senate chambers throughout the country from the floor.

Then, I entered the chamber to see a man slowly polishing the desktops. I could see that it was going to take a long time for him to get through all of the desks...as he had finished just a few while I sat for ten minutes. He noticed me waiting and asked if I would like for him to leave the chamber while I was taking pictures. I thanked him for that--and then he asked me if I would like to see how the chamber would look with various lighting combinations. I appreciated that while all the while thinking about how I had already spent quite a long time taking photos from the balcony!

In the end, I walked away with a few images of this interior:

p3741139542-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p3741139541-5.jpg

p3741139540-5.jpg

p3741139544-5.jpg

p3741139543-5.jpg

p3741139609-5.jpg

The Senate Chamber doesn't look half bad in the images. But upon closer inspection, it needs the future renovation. The carpeting is badly frayed, there is peeling paint on the ceilings, many of the chairs in the gallery are broken, etc. Based upon the section of the basement that is now complete, this Capitol will be stunning in a couple of years.

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Glad you persevered, Glenn! I like the diagonal comps you are trying! Between #2 and 5, I like 2 the best. And #6 is very nice also.

Latest threads

Top Bottom