Oktoberfest '08-Chewbecca-50mm f1.8 85mm f1.8

Rebecca - I really love that last shot of the playground thingy! Never would have thought of B&W myself, but it works.

I'm glad you are loving the lens...it is my favorite...very versatile. It's focal length and short DOF allow you a lot of creativity....and it takes kindly to extenders and extension tubes as well.

thanks, guys!:biggrin:

Today's submissions:

My youngest son. I got this on the way to school this morning. He RARELY allows me a picture anymore, so I had to walk ahead and pretend that I was taking pictures of something else. Then I turned around and snapped the shot. It's been cropped some.
2929861602_965cc58e61_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And this next shot, yes, this was kind of planned. Ok. A little bit more than kind of, in fact, the only thing that WASN'T planned was when I looked over and saw that some skittles HAD fallen out of the bag. But, yes, I DID line them up like that.
And it was taken last night, technically.

Tasted the Rainbow
2929551884_876fd75aab_b.jpg

LOVE both of these....you son is so cute and I think it is a fantatic pic of him. I also LOVE the skittles and the title...the DOF is great!

Very nice shot of your son. IMHO the candy shot has a bit too much empty space in bottom... and I would like some more DOF, or at least focus on the second and not the first of the candies.

Rebecca - it is hard to believe that shot of your son was taken as a quicky....it is just too darn sharp! You caught such a great expression and his eyes are so wonderful....that is one helluva informal portrait. Congratulations.

As for the skittles, am I being super critical today, or is their just a teensy bit of room for improvment in the focus on that first red skittle. Perhaps its just the nature of the shape. Beautiful color.

Glad that you are enjoying your new lens- you are certainly producing some great shots. Love tuck and the old toilet, the shot of your son is good and I like the Skittles too

LOVE both of these....you son is so cute and I think it is a fantatic pic of him. I also LOVE the skittles and the title...the DOF is great!

thank you, Lisa!

Great portrait of your son. That crop works better than the original :smile:

Thank you. I think the crop works better, too. It made it go from candid to nice portrait with just that crop.:biggrin:

Perfect.

Both of them.

The color is perfect.

Thank you, Rich! The skittles shot may not be perfect, but it IS colorful!:biggrin:

Very nice shot of your son. IMHO the candy shot has a bit too much empty space in bottom... and I would like some more DOF, or at least focus on the second and not the first of the candies.

Thank you, Jani. I really appreciate your critique. I had thought about cropping out more of the bottom, but I didn't. I should have.:biggrin:

Rebecca - it is hard to believe that shot of your son was taken as a quicky....it is just too darn sharp! You caught such a great expression and his eyes are so wonderful....that is one helluva informal portrait. Congratulations.

As for the skittles, am I being super critical today, or is their just a teensy bit of room for improvment in the focus on that first red skittle. Perhaps its just the nature of the shape. Beautiful color.

Thank you, Harry. Honestly, it was shot that fast. I had walked ahead of him pretending that I was taking pictures of other things (he just won't let me take pictures of him anymore!), turned around and said, "PICTURE! HA!"
And he acted like he was going to let me have it (you can see it in the uncropped version, he made fists, playfully, and he had his bookbag with him).
Hey, the 85mm is just THAT good.:biggrin:

And, you are right about the skittles. But, hey, the colors are still great, right? hahahaha.

Glad that you are enjoying your new lens- you are certainly producing some great shots. Love tuck and the old toilet, the shot of your son is good and I like the Skittles too

thank you, David!

I know. I'm a slacker. I did not post for yesterday.
And yesterday was dog day. I took 800 shots of 3 different black dogs.
We had dog training for Ella yesterday, and my trainer has a new GSD puppy named Erro. He's 14 weeks. And she wanted pictures.
Yesterday was SUPER sunny, and...well...black dogs are not always the easiest of subjects to photograph. I realize these aren't the best. But I worked with what I could and what I had.
These are not formal dog shots. And, yes, you all are going to get BOMBARDED with images because after going through so many shots, I don't have the time or energy to settle on 1 or 2 favorites.:biggrin:

I know. The agility equipment in the background is distracting and I know there are some blown out areas. But this puppy is ADORABLE and he was biting on his leash.

"Erro" pics taken with the 85mm f1.8
2933702913_27f2d5cc5e_b.jpg

I wasn't going to post this one because I not only cut his ears off in this shot, but the background isn't the best. She had put him in her fenced in area, within her fenced in yard, to give him some water.
But, MY GOD, his eyes. His eyes are why I have to post this shot. I did nothing to them.
2933722609_1a41340698_b.jpg

I wasn't overly thrilled with the shots I got of my own dog because I technically should have used the 55-200mm lens. I'm not happy with the color in this, nor am I happy with the sharpness.
2933826277_04b462c080_b.jpg

And the final one is of Sam, the Giant Schnauzer. He belongs to my in-laws and is the ONLY dog my dog can be around.
2934719748_400d5a8a30_b.jpg

Actually, Rebecca, I like #1,3, and 4. I find your reflection in the eyes of #2 distracting. If you don't like the color on #2, try warming it up a bit. Should be able to get a redder red (if that is what you are after) wihout doing too much damage to the grass or dog himself.

Glad you had a sunny day to shoot!

Of all the nice ones I missed in the last days, to me the best ones are the red flower from Day 9 and the one of your son. I don't know your new lens (yet), but it seems you handle it very well.

submissions for october 12th

I saw this one on my way into Lowe's this afternoon. I shot the picture on my way out.

Oh the irony.
2936146326_c2347e73b9_b.jpg

The rest of these were shot from my moving vehicle.
four hundred and seventy-five
2936146420_d58578f2c0_b.jpg

Some honorable mentions. I PPed this some to make the rust pop a little more.
2936146404_2fe407b559_b.jpg

I got this boarded up house as we drove by. I know it's tilted some, but I think it adds to the look of it.
2936146352_80b802ff16_b.jpg

some semi trailers that I snapped a shot of.
In Limbo
2935472025_3592eae8b3_b.jpg

Silky is Gone
2935306583_9849587c62_o.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom