Oktoberfest '08- Fireman - Sigma 30/1.4 and Nikkor 85/1.8D

Discussion in 'Photo Meme' started by fireman, Sep 28, 2008.

1. I did a lousy job in the Project 366 and I want to redeem myself so I'm going to try this challenge.

So, I'll be using a prime pair consisting of my Sigma 30/1.4 and my Nikkor 85/1.8D.

Bolt-on: Since the month of October seems like it's going to be a busy one at the office, I'm going to take the 30 pics for the month bolt-on. I will probably try a few others during the month but for now, I want to keep it simple.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Hey Jean-Pierre -

We're almost shooting the same....I've chosen the Nikon 35/2 as well as the 85/1.8. The former is my least favorite prime and the latter my most favorite. Have fun, and let's compare pics occassionally.

Harry

3. Well hello J-P! Don't be too harsh on yourself. We've had many people chiming in and out during the year. I'm anxiously waiting for your shots for the month... :biggrin:

4. Thanks for stopping by Harry. Both the 30 and the 85 are probably my less used lenses but I just couldn't let them go. I just love them too much. I can't wait to see your pics and I'll be glad to compare mine with yours any time you feel like it. We could also work on the same theme or bolt-on for a few days. Whatcha think ?

Hey Jani, glad to see you joining this challenge. I'm not too harsh on myself. It's just that I like going to the end of the challenges I set for myself but I took on more than I could chew with the Project 366 and that bothers me a bit because it was really something I thought I'd be able to complete.

But now I'm back and this is going to be really really fun. Even more so since my son Charles will join me for this one. Only a couple more hours before October arrives...

Now... Where did I put my camera ? :eek:

5. Today was a beautiful autumn day and Charles and me got to shoot together all morning. We had a blast and I can't wait to see his pictures. In the mean time, here are mine.

Picture 1
    I don't know the name of these cotton like plants but they sure are fun to play with with the light.
    85mm @ 2.0
    Picture_1.jpg

Picture 2
    My country's emblems are very colourful at this time of the year.
    85mm @ 2.0
    Picture_2.jpg

Picture 3
    Those fire red leaves just stand out from the background.
    85mm @ 2.0
    Picture_3.jpg

Picture 4
    Playing with light and leaves at 1.4 is fun !
    [email protected]
    Picture_4.jpg

Picture 5
    Charles concentrating on his next shot.
    [email protected]
    Picture_5.jpg

Picture 6
    I love this one. It's so peaceful.
    [email protected]
    Picture_6.jpg

Picture 7
    Too bad this is not a scratch'n snif picture because nothing beats the smell of a forest early in an autumn morning.
    [email protected]
    Picture_7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2008
  6. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    Nice series! I really like the picture of the cotton. I see what you mean about the light. Bokah is nice on that one too...especially on the bottom half. I like the one of Charles framing up his shot. He really looks like he knows what he's doing. I like the angle you chose.

7. Quick out of the gate, Fireman. At this rate, you'll meet your 30 picture bolt-on in a few days. Which pictures were with which lens?

8. Thanks for the comment KayB. Charles has been my shadow for the last year or so so he's seen me go and he knows what to do whit his camera. He still has plenty to learn but he's doing great already.
    Frank, I intend to shoot roughly 7 pictures a week. If I get the opportunity to shoot during the week, I'll shoot less during the week-end. The exif are always available in my pictures but I'll post the lens so everybody know what I shot with. Thanks for reminding me !

9. All nice. I especially like the milkweed pods. Do you know you can make ornaments with them?

10. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous...very simple and serene

11. Great to see you up and running Jean-Pierre and they are a beautiful bunch of souvenirs from your early morning walk in the forest. # 2,3,4 and 7 really appeal to me!

12. Beautiful series. I prefer 1-3 and really like the forest shot - even without the smell.

13. A very nice series. I liked the red leaves the most.

14. I like them all, but number 3 is my favorite.
    :biggrin:

15. Nice-series, Jean-Pierre. In Pennsylvania where I am from we called that first one "milkweed". I really dig the shot of Charles....really nice angle/composition.

16. sahlstrom

sahlstrom

Dec 6, 2007
    Sweden
    Nice captures!

17. Wow. Beautiful series. That light was spectacular.

18. God it's good to be back here. For some reason, I forgot to post my pictures last weekend and now I also have this week's pictures to post. In order not to post them all at the same time, I'll post last weekend's today and the others tomorrow.

Here we go...

I took a walk early Saturday morning in Old Trois-Rivières. I only brought the 30/1.4 and a body and walked the streets slowly while my wife was reading a book on the port's terrasse.

Picture 8
    I love this street and the houses that were built there. Every time I go there, I take a few panos. I wish there were a third house on that block so I wouldn't get the threes right in the middle...
    [email protected]
    Picture_8.jpg

Picture 9
    This is a view of the Ursulines Convent. It's a bit more than 100 years old and still, there are hundred of girls attending school there every day. This was taken from the park just across the street.
    [email protected]
    Picture_9.jpg

Picture 10
    There's an old Anglican church in Old Trois-Rivières. I guess there are not that many people attending mass and giving money for the upkeep as the church is literally crumpling down. This is a side door.
    [email protected]
    Picture_10.jpg

Picture 11
    I found the shadows made for an interesting composition.
    [email protected]
    Picture_11.jpg

Picture 12
    Pizza places don't all look alike. This is indeed a pizza place found on a side street of Old Trois-Rivières. Didn't have much room because of cars parked in front so I grabbed this one on the fly.
    [email protected]
    Picture_12.jpg

More to come tomorrow.

19. sparticat

sparticat

May 29, 2008
    Illinois
    Picture 12- I like how the symmetry is broken by the missing flower pot on the right. Nice color as well.